Inside takeaway, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the best way to break my habit of rotating the face open quickly and cocking my wrists really late on the backswing. I can use right forearm pick-up and the backswing looks a little bit better, but doesn't seem to perform better. I can take it back with my arms and feel the left wrist cocking, right wrist bending early, which seems to help a lot, but I'm wondering if there might be a more efficient solution.

Thanks,

Matt

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The backswing in Confessions might be pretty good to look at.

I would suggest the flashlight drill and work with that along with some pivot work and you should begin to see some positive results.

hcw

New
mrodock said:
I am looking for the best way to break my habit of rotating the face open quickly and cocking my wrists really late on the backswing....

is this (in and of itself) a bad thing?

-hcw

hcw said:
is this (in and of itself) a bad thing?

-hcw

If you get the face square at impact and control the club at the top it is not that much of a problem, but I figure drawing a straight plane-line on the backswing will make it easier on the downswing.

hcw

New
mrodock said:
...rotating the face open quickly and cocking my wrists really late on the backswing...

mrodock said:
....drawing a straight plane-line on the backswing.....

i don't believe these things are mutually exclusive...or are they?

-hcw

I could do it correctly in slow motion, but that is it. I don't believe they are mutually exclusive though. I know when I cock the wrists earlier and open the face less in the takeaway I am on a much better plane. However, I do believe you make a valid point.

Matt

hcw

New
mrodock said:
I could do it correctly in slow motion, but that is it. I don't believe they are mutually exclusive though. I know when I cock the wrists earlier and open the face less in the takeaway I am on a much better plane. However, I do believe you make a valid point.

Matt

cool...the reason i asked is that recently in "swinging" i have been doing something that sounds like what you described and it seems to be working ok (have yet to take it to the course though)...of course we may not be talking of exactly the same move, which is always problematic in these cyber-descriptions w/o having "eyes-on"...thanks for the replies!

-hcw

Status
Not open for further replies.