Inside takeaway - relationship between your left arm and chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Granato dropped this hint on my other thread about inside takeaway. I think its a great tip that is very relevant to me.

I have familiarised myself with the 'arm swing illusion'...that the arms do not move across the body in the BS...that the left arm should stay away from the chest during the backswing...that premature bending of the right elbow causes the left arm to come too close to the chest....that the right elbow should stay in front of the side-seam on your shirt...that the right elbow should not bend greater than 90* on the BS...

Here's my understanding of the matter:

1. A right arm that breaks down early in the BS will likely breakdown ALOT by the top of the BS.

2. A right arm breaking down will get the right elbow behind the shirt seem. This is what i call the lawnmower move (i.e. think of the action to pull start a lawnmower and where your right elbow ends up). Good for starting a lawnmower but pretty much a death move for 99% of golfers.

3. A right arm that is very bent at top of BS (i.e., 90*) will pull the left arm across the chest. To demonstrate, put hands together, and both arms straight as you can towards a top of BS position. Note position of left arm being AWAY from your body. Now collapse your right elbow and note how left arm is against chest. No matter what you have tried to do earlier in terms of 45* pushaway (think Waldron and his Arm Swing Illusion), early wrists c0ck, you are likely headed for an inside takeaway or headed way too deep with insufficient width.

4. By trying/feeling to keep the right arm straight for as long as possible, you give yourself every chance of being wide (hands as far away from the shoulders/right ear) without getting too deep (right elbow behind shirt seem).

The right elbow certainly breaks, but good things come to those who wait....and those who don't bend the elbow too much.

What is your best advice for me learning HOW to do this? Thanks.

It seems to me (no pun intended) that of all the causes of "flipping", getting the right elbow behind the right shirt seam is the worst. From there my right elbow can never make it back to in front of the right hip. But, the fix is as you say, don't let the left arm move early across the chest. Maintain the arms in front of the chest. For me, I monitor the right elbow and the feeling of keeping it in front of the shirt seam. My personal key to preventing the "flip".

Last edited:

hp12c

New
What I did/do to prevent/stop my inside takeaway is this. I take my address position and side bend to my left which will move my arms and club to the right and I will bend to the left untill I see the club parallel to the ground. What I saw when I straighten back up and left my arms where they were at is this. My shaft was not pointing parallel to my target line/footline, the toe of the club was not pointing up it was pointing straight ahead and the face was looking at the ground and my right arm was higher than my left arm when the shaft was parallell to the ground.

hp12c

New
Where should the shaft be pointing at parallel?
Hi cnadon is your question directed at me? If so I would say not where should the shaft be pointing and I would underline should, cause where my shaft points at that point in time may not be good for everyone, its good for me.
So for me at the time the shaft is parallel to the ground on my back swing my shaft points close to whatever lie the club has more or less depending on the club im using.
like lets say Im using a pitching wedge my lie is 57 degrees so when I take it back the club points out close the that on my backs swing when the club is parallel to the ground.

Hi cnadon is your question directed at me? If so I would say not where should the shaft be pointing and I would underline should, cause where my shaft points at that point in time may not be good for everyone, its good for me.
So for me at the time the shaft is parallel to the ground on my back swing my shaft points close to whatever lie the club has more or less depending on the club im using.
like lets say Im using a pitching wedge my lie is 57 degrees so when I take it back the club points out close the that on my backs swing when the club is parallel to the ground.

Thanks hp12c. I was in fact asking about your earlier post. But I'm still not sure I've got this in my head. Do you mean a line from your hands to the club head (PW) would form an angle of 57 degrees with the target line on the ground, looking down at it from a bird's eye view? And so with a driver would be closer to, but not at, parallel?

That would keep the club head well outside the hands.

hp12c

New
Thanks hp12c. I was in fact asking about your earlier post. But I'm still not sure I've got this in my head. Do you mean a line from your hands to the club head (PW) would form an angle of 57 degrees with the target line on the ground, looking down at it from a bird's eye view? And so with a driver would be closer to, but not at, parallel?

That would keep the club head well outside the hands.

U got it. For me it nedded to be really severe cause I took it way way inside.

Are your arm aligned ok?

If you had someone put a stick across the front of your forearms about 2" below your elbows where would it point? Where does your right elbow point at address?

Status
Not open for further replies.