Inside takeaway...why do I suck at this basic move? Video inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
**Link fixed...sorry for the inconvenience***

I thought I had this problem licked a few months ago, but here are six swings doing everything I know to get the club on-plane...but without success.

NEW VIDEO LINK: http://youtu.be/UwnI2WyYxDM

I have no idea why i continue to struggle to get this right?

My shoulder turn is as steep (i.e. close to 90*) as i can get it....

I do my best to take the club straight back...

I do my best to set my wrists (ie. c0ck) early...

I do my best to keep my right arm higher than my left on the backswing...

Can someone thrown me a bone? Thanks.

Last edited:
I thihgbt I had this problem licked a few months ago, but here are six swings doing everything I know to get the club on-plane...but without success.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UwnI2WyYxDM

I have no idea why i continue to struggle to get this right?

My shoulder turn is as steep (i.e. close to 90*) as i can get it....

I do my best to take the club straight back...

I do my best to set my wrists (ie. c0ck) early...

I do my best to keep my right arm higher than my left on the backswing...

Can someone thrown me a bone? Thanks.

Video doesn't work. Try to get your right hand to stay outside your left hand until waist high. You could try an LCT takeaway. By dragging the head back last the right hand stays outside the left automatically if you do it correctly.

Or go to the extreme of taking it back to what feels like way outside just to get the feel.

Or feel like you're picking the club up early and go straight up to waist high before you go around.

Last edited:

hp12c

New
Yup vid dont work, Oh well, here is my 2 cents. get ur wedge or other club. grip it as u would at adress. dont bend at the waist yet. ur standind erect... i mean straight... ahh dont bend.. yet. hold the club in front of u nd have the club parallel to the floor, ground or whatever ur standing on... hope its flat. learned this from Bmanz on bulding blocks vid.so now the clubs toe is pointing up, the grip is pointing at ur belly, ur arms are straight but not stiff or locked, feel comfortable. ok now with ur whole torso coil to the right and when u look down, from ur view your hands will be over the right foot. ok now bend and have your left shoulder lower than your right shoulder. your right forearm should be higher than your left. hope this helps.

Hp12C....that sequence works well. Makes me realise that arms should be more or less straight when club gets to first parallel.

hp12c

New
[video]http://www.golf.com/video/big-play-hit-it-crisp-kuchar[/video]

found this while looking for somethng else, check it out Geoff.

Geoff,
You might be better equipped to do what you want with your left arm or your upper body, depending on how you want to approach it
by letting your left arm bend at the elbow some.

I had some success this afternoon with a single modification: wrist cock.

Max wrist cock on plane - YouTube

The blue line you can see in the video is an alignment stick taped to the top of a traffic cone. Instant feedback. I give myself about 2-3 inches of 'grace'...otherwise you get a bit of a fright.

One other thing I learnt today is that its not just about wrist cock at the beginning of the backswing, its something I have to do throughout ALL of the backswing. If I don't, I can be on plane early, but will 'leak' below the plane towards the top of the backswing.

All I hitt today were 50-70% wedges. I did not use the Flightscope to check ball flight. All i wanted to do today was find a way of getting on-plane and make good contact with the ball. Mission accomplished today...alot of work ahead of me.

Key thoughts: Ferris wheel. Not merry go round. Cock early and keep cocking. Furyk. Not Kuchar.

Last edited:
I had some success this afternoon with a single modification: wrist cock.

Max wrist cock on plane - YouTube

The blue line you can see in the video is an alignment stick taped to the top of a traffic cone. Instant feedback. I give myself about 2-3 inches of 'grace'...otherwise you get a bit of a fright.

One other thing I learnt today is that its not just about wrist cock at the beginning of the backswing, its something I have to do throughout ALL of the backswing. If I don't, I can be on plane early, but will 'leak' below the plane towards the top of the backswing.

All I hitt today were 50-70% wedges. I did not use the Flightscope to check ball flight. All i wanted to do today was find a way of getting on-plane and make good contact with the ball. Mission accomplished today...alot of work ahead of me.

Key thoughts: Ferris wheel. Not merry go round. Cock early and keep cocking. Furyk. Not Kuchar.

Whatever works for you. We all have to find our own epiphanies. Kuchar is some-what unique in that he has a very steep shoulder turn, coupled with a flatter plane swing, especially for a tall guy. And he rotates around his left leg. The illusion is he has a very flat swing, but he actually concentrates on his steep shoulder turn. He also hovers every club in the bag.

Tough day at practice.

I could 'get it right' with the stick in place...but was back to old habits as soon as I removed the physical block. I know it will take longer than a few sessions, but you would think I would be close to getting it on plane...at least once????

Fair to say that I have absolutely no clue what's going on....but tomorrow is another chance to get it right. :)

If I saw you hitting these wedges in person, and knew nothing about you, I would be thinking, but of course not saying -this.

Too much knee flex, hands too far away from your belt buckle, tense, sort of hunched over, hurried swing, upper body dominated swing. It would be interesting to see some relaxed wedge swings with your feet together and allowing the club head to swing. Also interesting to see what would happen if you narrowed your wedge stance and hit shots where your back heel stayed on the ground much longer and rolled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.