Intention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian,

What are your thoughts on WHY people have some of the moves in their swings?
For example, people who come over the top, do so maybe because of an open clubface, maybe because they think that in order for the ball to go straight, that they need to hit the back of the ball.

Why do people cross the line at the top?
Why do people not cock their left wrist?
What are some misplaced intentions?

Furthermore, do you address those intentions? Manipulate them? Override them?

How?

hue

New
I am not Brian but IMO a lot of peoples faults are cultivated by bad instruction leading to bad concepts of what you should be doing. For example the turn your shoulders 90* to the spine both ways cultivates the roundhouse OTT move . If you follow this terrible advice you must have an over the top move in the downstroke. I have seen Leadbetter giving this dreadful advice as well as UK Lemmon golf teacher Scott Cranfield. The one piece takeaway advice leads to not cocking the left wrist when taken to the extreme. The concept of plane is not understood by many people and this will tend to lead to people crossing the line. For you to do things right you need the right information to improve your concepts of what you should be doing. Right understanding leads to a desire to do things right . Bad information leads to faulty swings and there is a lot of bad information out there in golf mags and TV. If you don't have discernment and follow the advice of many famous coaches that is shown on TV a bad swing is almost inevitable. This is why I believe TGM should be better promoted as there has to be a huge potential market for it . Go to any driving range and you will see the blind leading the blind often quoting the latest junk being promoted on TV. With this being the current state of play there have to be a lot of bad swings and swing concepts out there.

quote:Originally posted by c21heel

Vandal, anything constructive to add :)? Just pickin with you....

Actually, Vandal is not that far off. Many golfers have never had lessons of any kind, and start of with a flawed swing that leads to compensations made in order to acheive any kind of ball contact. That is the swing that gets grooved without the golfer having any idea how flawed it really is. 'Tis a rude awakening to see onesself on video the first time. :D

The first time I saw my video, it was rather rude:). It could be just the folks I play, but I have never found coordination to be the major issue....it's usually the latest issue of golf digest that gets us! We all grew up playing some kind of organzied sports.

When I got my first lesson he asked me how good I wanted to be and I said "scratch". After he saw my swing he said it would be years. Then when I told him I was currently a 5 his jaw dropped. So I guess I was full of compensations. Now with a couple more years of practice I'm a 4 with a little better looking swing. But now with a newly found pattern I actaully think scratch is attainable. BTW- All the bad parts of my swing were self taught. I just swung the way I thought you should.

Homer stated you only needed to do three things in the swing:
1:Take the club up the turned shoulder plane
2:Take the club down the turned shoulder plane
3:Learn a hinge

The unknowledgable player fails in all three.
Knowledge + practice = skill

The main reason players make swing errors is because they do not understand what postion they should be in at impact. If a player doesn't know where he's going, he has little chance of getting there.

vandal

New
quote:Originally posted by c21heel

Vandal, anything constructive to add :)? Just pickin with you....

It's true though. That's exactly it. People see these nerdy looking overweight guys on TV swinging the club and think that if that guy can do I should be able to do it as well. Then they pickup the latest golf publication and get filled with a bunch of contradictory information. Add that to the fact that the golf swing actually takes a lot of coordination, which most people don't have. It can be learned to a degree, but why would they pay money for something they can get for free? And then they play with that swing they got for free.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian...are you out there?
Tom?
Mike?

Other teachers?
What are some of the approaches to ALL these problems? Identify? That's the easy part. Take the 4 handicap guy...what componants does one change(that guy's imperitives should be reasonable)?
Just as important, HOW does one change them?

Vandal, you hit the nail on the head with regards to magazines and golf instructors contradicting themselves. I guess confusion keeps most of the golf instructors in business....that and uncoordinated golfers.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
quote:Originally posted by mb6606

Homer stated you only needed to do three things in the swing:
1:Take the club up the turned shoulder plane
2:Take the club down the turned shoulder plane
3:Learn a hinge

The unknowledgable player fails in all three.
Knowledge + practice = skill

This is NOT the answer folks. What about Hogan, Sergio, Finney, Nicklaus, Snead, Jones???

!

Homer also said, all you have to do is have a "flat left wrist and hit through the ball."

He said that IF you did that, "you don't need my book."

Brian Manzella

Administrator
quote:Originally posted by Homerson

Brian,

For example, people who come over the top, do so maybe because of an open clubface, maybe because they think that in order for the ball to go straight, that they need to hit the back of the ball.

How?

This could—and should—be a whole full length video.

But, for you Damon, here is a taste:

Why do people cross the line at the top? Poor structure. With a flat left wrist (I I mean FLAT!!!! not all this BULL$#!% 'geometrically flat'), and some idea of right arm structure and extensor action and the plane....they would NEVER cross the line.

Why do people not cock their left wrist? Bad grip and the feeling that LONGER is better on the backswing.

What are some misplaced intentions? Adding arm speed to a pure swing, using the bent left wrist to prevent closing the face too much (that's right, sometimes its closing).

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Brian,

How?

Why do people cross the line at the top? Poor structure. With a flat left wrist (I I mean FLAT!!!! not all this BULL$#!% 'geometrically flat'), and some idea of right arm structure and extensor action and the plane....they would NEVER cross the line.

Why do people not cock their left wrist? Bad grip and the feeling that LONGER is better on the backswing.

What are some misplaced intentions? Adding arm speed to a pure swing, using the bent left wrist to prevent closing the face too much (that's right, sometimes its closing).

It's an interesting subject.
I think it is one of the top few reasons that separate a decent teacher from a great one, and....why I directed it to you, Brian!

Do you think people 'sometimes' cross the line because of their desire to 'get more inside', or 'not come over the top'?

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Brian,

How?

Agreed. I think people have no clue how the right arm works. Another reason people cross the line at the top is their Right Forearm gets ROLLED at the Top instead of TURNED to the Plane . . . which of course is what you said (poor concept of plane).

Status
Not open for further replies.