Interesting clubfitting experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have really been struggling with the driver lately, and I have had a feeling it's been holding me back from improving my golf game. Currently I'm a 4 handicap, but it's good iron play and short game that's been saving my ass, as I'm consistently hitting blocks to the right and hangback flip hooks left. Also have felt really uncomfortable with the driver like I just couldn't swing it hard because I had no confidence in where it would go.

With that being said, I decided I wanted to go get a new driver, Currently have a Ping I20, hit a ton of balls and finally the fitter gave me the new Callaway and we put a three wood shaft in it, 43 inches. Amazing my ball dispersion improved dramatically along with distrance, ball speed, it wasn't even close.

Finally, I think at 5'6 on a tall day, I may have found a driver that will work for me, I think these 45.5 and 46 inch beasts, have just been too much for me. Will be interesting to see how it plays on the course.

So, I have really been struggling with the driver lately, and I have had a feeling it's been holding me back from improving my golf game. Currently I'm a 4 handicap, but it's good iron play and short game that's been saving my ass, as I'm consistently hitting blocks to the right and hangback flip hooks left. Also have felt really uncomfortable with the driver like I just couldn't swing it hard because I had no confidence in where it would go.

With that being said, I decided I wanted to go get a new driver, Currently have a Ping I20, hit a ton of balls and finally the fitter gave me the new Callaway and we put a three wood shaft in it, 43 inches. Amazing my ball dispersion improved dramatically along with distrance, ball speed, it wasn't even close.

Finally, I think at 5'6 on a tall day, I may have found a driver that will work for me, I think these 45.5 and 46 inch beasts, have just been too much for me. Will be interesting to see how it plays on the course.

I agree and your shot pattern sounds a lot like mine. I'm 5'10" and had a 46" driver. I'm a poor college student so I just had it cut an inch and added some lead tape and I hit it better. I haven't been a good driver since I had one of those Taylor Made 360 Ti drivers, I doubt it was much more than 44-45 at the most.

ZAP

New
At 5' 8" ish I was killing my youngest sons junior driver today when I took him to the course to "hit a few"(his words). He then proceeded to practice his sand game from the piles of snow left near the practice green. As long as he had fun.:cool:

Maybe I need a shorter driver too.

art

New

Dear Tball88,

Thanks for telling your success story and providing the details of shaft length, your height etc.

As I am sure you have read, I often write about the importance of dynamic balance and stability of the lower body, (upper body and shoulder complex), and the effects on the quality of the shot.

Regarding JUST shaft length of the driver , my personal experience with a few local 'club fitters' is that the measurement from the ground to the golfers hands (hanging at their sides) usually plays a role in the initial fitting process. I believe this to be INCORRECT OR INSUFFICIENT, as studies regarding dynamic balance of the lower body have much STRONGER relationships with the golfers 'center of mass/gravity, and the 'center of pressure' as measured by force plates of the ground reaction forces during the explosive downswing.

So, IMO, regarding the length of the shaft (and dynamic stability) for at least the driver, shorter is better, and, as in your case, the golfers 'center of gravity' distance to the ground should also be used to further 'bias/shorten' the length of the shaft.

As as easy demonstration, just measure the off target dispersion with varying length drivers, or if not available, your own 3 and 5 woods HIT FROM A TEE, to better represent the conditions of a driver. My guess is because of a better match of the center of gravity and center of pressure of your unique golf swing, 'shorter shaft lengths' will perform better in BOTH DISTANCE and ACCURACY from better dynamic balance.

Sincerely,
art

I cut my Callaway driver by 3/4" 2 years ago, and increased distance through a decreased spin rate. I am still playing "under-length" woods...

Just got my new RazrFit Xtreme 3 wood, but have yet to hit it. A benefit of these adjustable clubs is that I will be using the exact same shafts as last year in both Driver and 3w.

Art, thanks for the feedback, what was really interesting to me, was that I expected to lose clubhead speed, but did not. I think the longer driver was forcing me to lose posture, which in effect had me stand up and hang back in order to let the club clear. Ultimately, i'm guessing this slowed down my swing and also caused an early release of my hands. With the shorter club, i could really explode through the ball while maintaining posture and actually increased speed.

Also, I keep wondering if the next development in clubheads is a smaller clubhead with the same pop as that larger one's. I really don't like the huge heads and have to believe they create more drag than something smaller, but I'm no scientist.

Status
Not open for further replies.