Intuition of an old timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Norwood is perhaps one of only a few golf instructors specifically mentioning the role of the trail shoulder in his book 'Golf-O-Metrics'.

''Stead steady, toss the hand/wrist/forearm to the right shoulder, then use the right shoulder to power the downward thrust. Using the right shoulder means coming out of the shoulder – thrusting out of the shoulder, not turning the shoulder/torso in a twisting action.''

He refers on several occasions to cranking into the right shoulder, the shoulder blade area, activating the booster muscles in that area, etc..

Let's look next at an article published by Kibler and McMullen in the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

Scapular Dyskinesis and Its Relation to Shoulder Pain
W. Ben Kibler, MD, and John McMullen, ATC

''The final role that the scapula plays in shoulder function is as a link in proximal-to-distal sequencing of velocity, energy, and forces of shoulder function. For most activities, sequencing begins at the ground, and individual body segments (links) are coordinated by muscle activation and body position to generate, summate, and transfer force through these segments to the terminal link. This sequence is termed the kinetic chain. These serial muscle activation patterns stabilize the scapula and increase the control of its motion and position as the arm is moved. The scapula is thus pivotal in transferring large forces and high energy from the legs, back, and trunk to the delivery point, the arm and the hand, thereby allowing more force to be generated in activities such as throwing than could be done by the arm musculature alone. The scapula, serving as a link, also stabilizes the arm to more effectively absorb loads that may be generated through the long lever of the extended or elevated arm.''

Old timer Joe Norwood, perhaps entirely intuitive, with his emphasis on role of the right shoulder, seemed to have been right on the money. :)

An important point for me.

I tend to shrug the trail shoulder on the backswing. Bottom of scapula juts away from the body and a crucial connection in the kinetic chain is lost. Scapula must be flat for full energy transfer.

Drew

Brian Manzella

Administrator
We have been working with a scientist (again who will remain nameless) who thinks the shoulder complex is ABSOLUTELY another couple of "Power Generators."

He is right of course.

And so was Norwood.

Thanks, Mandude.

Not to oversimplify, but years of left-side dominated golf instruction has really ignored the value and importance of the right arm and right shoulder. As a drill, I've seen some students make pretty outstanding swings with only their right arm. Everything in moderation, I guess.

Best part starts at 8:15.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-qj2Dv_CbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did Norwood talk about the direction of the thrust of the right shoulder?
Kevin,

Norwood did not want you to think about the shoulders or body but rather instead:

''Swing with the arms and leave the body out of it.''

He was rather more interested in the direction of the right arm thrust from the right shoulder:

''Start the downswing with a vertical move out of the right shoulder and elbow in the direction of the right hip and heel, while the left arm remains loaded and extended.''

Did Norwood talk about the direction of the thrust of the right shoulder?

Thanks for your question. The information in post #1, possibly because of my exposure to TGM, caught my attention. However, in response to your question, the information in post #9,--''Start the downswing with a vertical move out of the right shoulder and elbow in the direction of the right hip"--showed the anticipated connection to be premature. I look forward to how the trail shoulder action survives the "final cut" as dictated by Brian's project.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin,

Norwood did not want you to think about the shoulders or body but rather instead:

''Swing with the arms and leave the body out of it.''

He was rather more interested in the direction of the right arm thrust from the right shoulder:

''Start the downswing with a vertical move out of the right shoulder and elbow in the direction of the right hip and heel, while the left arm remains loaded and extended.''

The second quote is something almost verbatim out of Hebron's books...I wonder if he read some Norwood?

Yes! mandrin.

Thrust, and where to direct it. (?)

For me, it seemed to help path using the r shoulder more actively to move the club. Versus focusing on use of the left shoulder. Seems to help me swing less in to out...probably in backswing, and downswing.

Learning to use the r shoulder in tandem with the right hip has improved my striking and pitching a lot, so far. And immediately.

Homer Kelly wrote a lot about the trail shoulder. It's one of the few things that really stands out to me about TGM. (right shoulder, and right side use) Doesn't make me a 'Hitter' (everyone both swings and hits, of course), but that is just for anyone who would go out of their way to class me as one.

Props to HK is all. R shoulder and R hip...for me, for now, The A Team...

Still gonna try the left side more again...and see if I can trace better (with the left arm), and whatever else. These days using the r shoulder and hip more actively is working well. I just like to try things until I can exhaust them as an option.

And I have tried 'right forearm pickup', both hands/arms, etc. (loads of experiments) For some reason using the r shoulder works best for me. And only when in tandem with a backswing sharp right hip turn.

mandrin or Brian,

Can you attribute this to anything and/or can you give scientific explanation? 1. Using the hip and shoulder in tandem? and 2. why using the shoulder (closer to the center of the main rotating body) works better than focusing on more outward parts?

I can "see it", feel it, and generally understand it, but I thought it might be good to bring up, and maybe you can explain more thoroughly.

Last edited:
Classic

Best part starts at 8:15.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-qj2Dv_CbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sorry but the last 30 seconds of that video is CLASSIC. Just the look on the "students" face still has me rolling on the ground. The poor guy is more twisted than one of those huge pretzels.......I am sure Mr. Norwood was a pioneer in his day.

Yeah you're right!! That's hilarious.

From the 8 minute mark it is a classic Saturday Night Live act.....even better. God Bless him for I know I really shouldn't laugh at this but it is great stuff. When he says' "How;s that feel" I fell down in a puddle of tears......I think they were tears but maybe not!

Tommy Armour embraced that method as well. Only he taught it drinking gin and tonics in his chaise lounge. Both eschewed Morrison's left arm stuff.

dbl

New
What do people think of his rock the shoulders idea? It would certainly get the right shoulder down. Not sure about swinging from the shoulders while doing that. Maybe I'll try it.

Norwood had a huge impact on Phil McGleno. The right arm straigtening towards the right heel goes back to at least Vardon. To me it is right arm solution to the need for tumble on the downswing i.e. keeping the club head in front of you. Sealing the wrists, the prop...some interesting stuff in that book. Did you check out the size of Joe Norwood's mitten's? Holy crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.