Is it important to kick in the right knee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and a beginning golfer. Just one year and shoots 100 +/-. Thus I'm looking to make some improvement in my swing. I just bought some of Brian's videos here.

My question is, is it important to kick in my right knee towards the target (I'm playing right-handed) at address? I used to do this but recently change it to a more 'normal' right knee position as I'm experience some pain in the right knee. I believe this pain was due directly to intentionally kick-ing my right knee.

There's some references to good model swing, like Mike Austin's swing, where the right knee is kicked-in at address. So is this a very important aspect? If I do not want this in my swing, is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated.

cheers,

daniel

D,
Kicking in the right knee at address tends to give you impact hands (reverse K position), rather than mid-body, so it is a case of adjusting to what you feel is right for you, or fits with what you are trying to achieve...
It does mean that during the backswing you will need to re-extend the right leg somewhat and find a way to do this consistently without swaying...
My own research on this is that it tended to cause me to hit fat shots (I seemed to be behind the ball too much at address), as kicking the right kneee makes your upper body tilt to the right quite a bit...
Mike did say, however, that he also kicked the right knee to start his swing (he said it "gives the feet something to do" instead of being lead footed, with feet rooted to the ground)..

Now, I tend to address the ball without the knee kicked too much, but kick it in to start the swing, but without moving the hands forward or increasing the right-tilt of the upper body (forward press, without the press)...
This seems to give a much better timing feel to the whole swing....for me it gives me a mental picture of where I want my right thigh to be through the impact zone.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ah......nope.....act 2

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and a beginning golfer. Just one year and shoots 100 +/-. Thus I'm looking to make some improvement in my swing. I just bought some of Brian's videos here.

My question is, is it important to kick in my right knee towards the target (I'm playing right-handed) at address?

Daniel,

I don't teach any such foolishness.

The kne just wasn't "design" to work that way.

I don'y want it out, "Cowboy style," and I don't want it in "Arnold Palmer/Johnny Miller putting style."

Yuk.

Hope this helps.

Hi Puttmad,

You are right. In the beginning and for quite a while, I was having a sway and hitting it fat. Now it's getting better but still not good yet. But going back to a kick-in right knee is not an option for me. I can't even climb stairs when the pain comes back.

Brian,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm looking at your pivot sections to see if i can come out with something that suits me.

cheers,

daniel

James,

I didn't learn it from any Mike Austin source. I just saw on the Forum Archives an analysis of MA's swing and that he had it too.

Luckily for me, it's not permanent yet. But a doctor did advise me to stop golf (over my dead body!). If you ask me, I'll advise anyone against a kick-in right knee. Like Brian said, it's just not 'designed' to work that way. I found that out the hard way.

cheers.

Hope you don't have a permanent injury from that Mike Austin stuff.

Stuff is the mildest term I use for it.

I've tinkered with Austin's swing and find it to be quite easy on the body. My only complaint is that Austin's swing is taught in a manner that is confusing and with an emphasis on too many moving parts. I hit the ball well using his method as it is taught, but no cigar. My iron play using Austin's method was unacceptable- straight, short, with no sizzle. Golf is not worth playing without 'sizzle.'

Hope you don't have a permanent injury from that Mike Austin stuff.

Stuff is the mildest term I use for it.

James,
All due respect mate, but that comment is a bit out of order...
His whole concept was about NOT doing injury to the body and producing the most EFFICIENT golf swing at the same time.....

If you had witnessed him hitting balls at the age of 77 years (280+ yard one-irons), you would probably agree, that after 60 years of research, he succeeded admirably...:)

Last edited:
This is at 77?

He was a big guy with a great swing.....................but to send a balata ball that far with a 1 iron? (2 iron by the loft standards of today most likely)

How do you know this? I am skeptical. (BTW I'm sure you know you can't blame me)

OT:

Those Austin forum guys are chumps. Everyone has a theory but no one seems to fully understand MA. Even the so-called expert over there hides behind his words and refuses to demonstrate the MA swing. There are even guys over there that are silly enough to believe that MA was better than Hogan. The best information on the MA pattern for sponge brained TGM'ers is Brian's audio analysis.

I wouldn't suggest learning the MA pattern, instead I would look into Tomasello and learn how to pivot dynamically.

Golf is easy.

This is at 77?

He was a big guy with a great swing.....................but to send a balata ball that far with a 1 iron? (2 iron by the loft standards of today most likely)

How do you know this? I am skeptical. (BTW I'm sure you know you can't blame me)

I have it on DVD birdie, it was in 1988....you can also actually hear one woman's comment of: "Wow, that one was nearly on the highway" (which is at least 30 yards past the end of the driving range), and the distance was confirmed personally by Mike to Thomas Dang...

OT:

Those Austin forum guys are chumps. Everyone has a theory but no one seems to fully understand MA. Even the so-called expert over there hides behind his words and refuses to demonstrate the MA swing. There are even guys over there that are silly enough to believe that MA was better than Hogan. The best information on the MA pattern for sponge brained TGM'ers is Brian's audio analysis.

I wouldn't suggest learning the MA pattern, instead I would look into Tomasello and learn how to pivot dynamically.

Golf is easy.

Oh dear, a pi$$ing contest....:(

I'm one of those chumps sm...and I understand his swing very well, and other guys even better....Thomas carries the ball 330 yards (witnessed), Squish about the same and he is in his 50's...and others, so I think they have taken something positive on board...

Re. "Even the so-called expert over there hides behind his words and refuses to demonstrate the MA swing."

Wrong, there were plenty of videos after Thomas' Paris trip...

Re:
"There are even guys over there that are silly enough to believe that MA was better than Hogan."

I don't recall any reference to this, could you point me to the relevant post......

Re.
"The best information on the MA pattern for sponge brained TGM'ers is Brian's audio analysis. "

Could you point out the "sponge-brained TGMers" on this forum. I'm sure they would be pleased to know who they are...

Status
Not open for further replies.