is it necessary to check lofts and lie angles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it necessary to check the loft and lie angle of your irons once in a while? Do they actually change that much over time? I have never checked mine but my friend is telling me I should get it checked since the set is 10+ years old.

My experience is that 80%+ of the time they come out of the box needing to be moved. I've only seen two sets (both Miuras) that didn't need moving in any direction. Forged clubs I like to check monthly to bi-monthly, especially if mats are involved.

Forged for sure. I see little change in the cavitys. Ever. But I agree with Mike check them when you get for sure.

My experience is that 80%+ of the time they come out of the box needing to be moved. I've only seen two sets (both Miuras) that didn't need moving in any direction. Forged clubs I like to check monthly to bi-monthly, especially if mats are involved.

My experience too Mike. Angles out of the box are often not what was ordered. Accuracy increases in direct proportion to cost.

Generally but not always. For example...

A couple months ago I ordered a custom set of pro A12's from adams and went to have them checked right out of the box and every specification was dead on within a quarter of a degree for every club. The guys in the shop were absolutely floored that they were correct coming out of the factory... as was I.

Mizuno built up an excellent reputation for getting custom orders right and from what I am hearing they are now looking to squander that reputation and when you call the factory about it they will blame 'your' loft/lie machine for the inconsistency.

Last edited:
Every club should be checked regularly. A set off the rack or out of the box is very unlikely to match. Even custom fitted clubs usually need adjusted. Cavity back clubs are just as likely to be off as blade style. Forged is softer than cast. If they are cast i would not bend more than 1 degree. I usually recomend them be sent back to company.

Its also imposible to blame my loft and lie machine for inacuarcy. Its digital and calibrated perfectly.

Last edited:
is it necessary to check the loft and lie angle of your irons once in a while? Do they actually change that much over time? I have never checked mine but my friend is telling me I should get it checked since the set is 10+ years old.

In general I agree with most that has been posted here specially that by MrGranato (forged etc...). However the issue is not that you need to set them back to the "original" manufacturer settings but to make sure that the distance gap between them is still correct! And that might create some interesting loft settings ;)

A bit off topic, but can't have a loft/lie discussion with thinking about the pimpest loft/lie machine out there...

A bit off topic, but can't have a loft/lie discussion with thinking about the pimpest loft/lie machine out there...

SCUBA.jpg

:cool:

I've actually gotten to work with those SCUBA machines. they're awesome for cast heads and great for lie, but it has to be reconfigured for loft adjustments. I'd say its the best thing going for a mobile setup that's not attached to a tour van and a PC. :)

There can be big differences in how length is measured. What I think is 35" for my club isn't the same as the club manufacturers. For example, some OEMs base length without the grip on some with the grip on. Same thing for putters, sometimes a plug is used to measure and sometimes not.

The Ping system is incredible! I highly recomend Club Champion if you have on in your area. Great work from those guys.

Ordered a new set of Ping S56's with 3 Tour Wedges last Christmas. The fitter specified some loft tweaks.
I had them checked shortly after I received them from the factory. They were Spot on.

thanks for your responses guys.

if the specs change over time because of hitting golf balls, which way does it change? i.e. does loft get weaker/stronger, and lie angle more upright/flatter?

I can only speak for myself, but I double check my clubs lofts and lies after every shot.

Then again, I am a very deliberate player.

tong - I got a loft and lie machine this year and checked 2 sets of old forgings. 3 or 4 degrees strong wasn't at all unusual. fixing that transformed the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.