Is laying off the club in transition = Reverse Tumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I can't play a lick without shallowing out my swing in transition. I tried. What exactly makes this work for guys like Sergio, G-Mac? I think it gives me something to do other than "tugging" from the top. Just a guess.

Last edited:
It's all about really understanding the end of the backswing and the beginning of the transition. I would argue that players like, Price, Garcia, Faldo and GMac are still in the backswing phase when the complete their "lay off" move.

There's lots of talk about "shallowing the plane" at the start of the downswing, I presume laying off the club is the same thing. What's the benefit of doing this?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
There's lots of talk about "shallowing the plane" at the start of the downswing, I presume laying off the club is the same thing. What's the benefit of doing this?

The benefit is that in order to have a positive tumble torque put on the club to hit the ball, there has to be a negative force first.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So is the difference between this laying off move vs tugging is that the former keeps the back to the target longer?

Maybe, tugging is usually associated with opening the shoulders and poor hand path. I'm not sure that is the main difference though.

The benefit is that in order to have a positive tumble torque put on the club to hit the ball, there has to be a negative force first.

Thanks Kevin. So, if I understand you correctly, to make a powerful tumble into the ball it's best to lay the club off first? As long as you're not way across the line at the top, doesn't out toss have the effect of laying off the club? If you are across the line, as part of the out toss will you then need to also make sure the club head moves outside the hands?

Apologies if this is basic stuff!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If you are across the line, just make sure you don't cruise the hips toward the ball and take your hands out to get the club to lay off

Status
Not open for further replies.