Is taking a divot that important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been hitting the ball well but just brushing the grass post impact with all my irons (the grass is brown just past the ball).... if you are making solid contact is it that important whether you take a substantial divot or not? any time i really focus on taking a divot the results are usually worse contact.

This has been a big focus for me in my practice sessions but i'm wondering whether it's worthwhile spending lots of time on or focus on another area of the game..

Cheers

Been hitting the ball well but just brushing the grass post impact with all my irons (the grass is brown just past the ball).... if you are making solid contact is it that important whether you take a substantial divot or not? any time i really focus on taking a divot the results are usually worse contact.

This has been a big focus for me in my practice sessions but i'm wondering whether it's worthwhile spending lots of time on or focus on another area of the game..

Cheers

All I can tell you is my experience. I ALWAYS used to take a divot. Over the course of this year, I noticed I was taking one less frequently, however, since ball striking was still OK, I paid it no attention. By July I lost everything and it was not until I found a good instructor that I realized I was a Flipper. :mad:

Needless to say, I have purchased "Confessions of a Former Flipper."

Browning the grass after the ball is pretty darn good. I take pretty good divots until I get to my five iron, then the "browning" begins. I try and take divots with my longer clubs because I get too shallow.

You are better off than most and if you are hitting it well, congrats.

westy

New
If you hit it below the sweetspot on the face and you dont touch the grass, you are probably hitting up.
If you nick the grass you are probably getting it near low point.
If you 'fold the roots over', you are probably hitting down at 2 or 3 degrees. (depending on the roots...)
If you are getting into where Hogan told you to go look, you are probably hitting down at 4 to 6 degrees.
If you are sticking the club into the ground, you are 8 to 10 degrees into the planet.
If you break the clubhead off, your are probably getting a bit steep....

Last edited:
smooth,

i would say that as long as you can take a divot when you want to, you should be fine. as long as can do that, it should keep you from going down any sort of "leakage" path.
i don't think it's necessary for your "stock" shot. in fact, the "less down" may be advantageous.

Browning the grass after the ball is pretty darn good. I take pretty good divots until I get to my five iron, then the "browning" begins. I try and take divots with my longer clubs because I get too shallow.

You are better off than most and if you are hitting it well, congrats.

Thanks, as i said the contact is pretty good.. in a practice round i hit two shots, one 'normal' for me (just brushed the grass) and one with a more sizeable divot. Although the one with a bigger divot felt like i compressed it a bit more, both finished on the green within a few feet of each other... basically no difference. Ball flight was similar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.