Is TGM ball position over-rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I ask is because I see so many tour players playing the ball almost off their back foot in most short game shots, and in the middle of stance with irons.

I'm not trying to start a war of ideals here (I am a proponent of TGM). However, I just can't get over the fact that so many tour players, at least the one's shown on tv, with accurated face-on camera angles, show ball positions not conducive with TGM thinking.

Your thoughts?

hcw

New
I wasn't aware...

The reason I ask is because I see so many tour players playing the ball almost off their back foot in most short game shots, and in the middle of stance with irons.

I'm not trying to start a war of ideals here (I am a proponent of TGM). However, I just can't get over the fact that so many tour players, at least the one's shown on tv, with accurated face-on camera angles, show ball positions not conducive with TGM thinking.

Your thoughts?

...that there was a TGM "standard ball position". What ball position(s) do you think are "conducive with TGM thinking"?

-hcw

i wouldn't always trust what you see on tv, as camera angles can be very mis-leading.

alot of players dont have the same ball position all the time, as they are altered from shot-to-shot. example, a standard 6i for tiger maybe 1/2" forward of middle. but a high spinning, lower trap draw could be an inch back of middle

p.s i think he means 'TGM ball position' as just inside left heel - just before low point. so fairly far forward. i believe ban doyle teaches this

hcw

New
iirc...

...p.s i think he means 'TGM ball position' as just inside left heel - just before low point. so fairly far forward. i believe ban doyle teaches this

...ben does teach a single ball position, but then your stance changes from club to club...TGM (the book) seems to be about options and i'm pretty sure that a single ball position is not "mandated" (but i don't have a book handy)...anyhoo, my point is/was that differing ball positions is within TGM's "thinking" (although any given AI may have a preference)...personally i like a the single ball position for pretty much everything but the driver, which i hit better a little forward....

"The Golfing Machine" doesn't have a ball position. Many instructors recommend inside the left heel and many recommend moving it back with multiple positions. Whatever trips your trigger...

You'll see a BP just inside the left heel pushed a lot on TGM sites it seems.

On Tour, a lot of guys seem to play it fairly far back for chips/some pitches.

You don't really need it super far back to guarantee a descending blow........and it shouldn't be pushed as a cure-all (i.e. band-aid) for people who flip it.

But it's not gonna kill you to put it a little back of the left heel.........so long as you have a little weight on the front foot when you need it. (I even put weigth forward on some full shots...to move the low point forward)

Wherever you do well with it though.........and whatever you need for the shot at hand.

BTW regarding low point and where it is..........interesting thread here:

http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93167

Last edited:
WHy relate it to feet?

ALways talking about ball position relative to the feet .... but the feet have little DIRECT relationship to the low point of the swing.

"TGM pure" says Low point is opposite the left shoulder. Take a wide stance and then a narrow stance.... see how the left shoulder varies relative to your left foot...

Brian (see Birdieman's link) says that low point can be made to vary....

Either way...relate ball position to your lowpoint and not directly to your feet....only use your feet if you know how your low point relates to your feet...so the feet are an indirect marker for your low point.

Status
Not open for further replies.