Is the following in some way related to BBKIB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since joining this site I feel my own swing has improved in leaps and bounds, but, often, my old nemesis (Lindsey, one for you...:D) rears its ugly head (right side running into the left, a locked, left arm cricketer's off drive and a bat out hard right, or, to save it, a nifty jump over the pivot and a dragging hook)

Art's posts about the hips got me thinking. If the left hip can turn on the downswing with the right hip in KEEP IT BACK mode, couldn't the same thing happen with the chest area, albeit in a deleterious manner? If the left pectoral area can turn on the downswing but the right one stays back, wouldn't that drag the right side under and lead to pathetic wafts. shorn of any power?

When I watch good players swing the club, their right side is closer to the ball at impact than at address, but mine just hangs out way back and I feel I'm at the mercy of how my right forearm kicks thru impact. And I hate myself intensely for it.:mad:

I have a feeling Brian or Kevin spoke to this sometime ago in some different way but I can't seem to locate it.

Have I stumbled onto something here, or, as usual, am I just tilting at windmills?

Burner

New
From a former cricketer.

Since joining this site I feel my own swing has improved in leaps and bounds, but, often, my old nemesis (Lindsey, one for you...:D) rears its ugly head (right side running into the left, a locked, left arm cricketer's off drive and a bat out hard right, or, to save it, a nifty jump over the pivot and a dragging hook)

Art's posts about the hips got me thinking. If the left hip can turn on the downswing with the right hip in KEEP IT BACK mode, couldn't the same thing happen with the chest area, albeit in a deleterious manner? If the left pectoral area can turn on the downswing but the right one stays back, wouldn't that drag the right side under and lead to pathetic wafts. shorn of any power?

When I watch good players swing the club, their right side is closer to the ball at impact than at address, but mine just hangs out way back and I feel I'm at the mercy of how my right forearm kicks thru impact. And I hate myself intensely for it.:mad:

I have a feeling Brian or Kevin spoke to this sometime ago in some different way but I can't seem to locate it.

Have I stumbled onto something here, or, as usual, am I just tilting at windmills?

Ollie,

You've just got to forsake your cricketing finesse for a bit of long handled slogging.

Swing the bat back, up and in towards fine leg and down, out, forwards and then in to a finish somewhere left of long on, whilst aiming to hit the ball between long off and the stumps at the bowlers end. Simples!

Ollie,

You've just got to forsake your cricketing finesse for a bit of long handled slogging.

Swing the bat back, up and in towards fine leg and down, out, forwards and then in to a finish somewhere left of long on, whilst aiming to hit the ball between long off and the stumps at the bowlers end. Simples!

LOL. Burner.
The clouds are gathering, the pitch is cracking, the seam has been picked and is now stood up like a blind cobbler's thumbnail. The bowler has a perfect line and length and silly mid-off is stifling - That's how my game has been heretofore.

Now I've found the stuff from my original post and I couldn't be happier - Haven't swung this well since I was 16. Ball flight is superbly consistent and for the first time in ten years or so I'm actually excited to play

It's proof positive that if you take the stuff from this site and apply it diligently you can get yourself going. You've got to do the work, though, and really push yourself down different avenues of thought.

Speak English boys! :)

That's the problem with you Americans...you could be standing at short backward square and still not be able to see the difference between a googly and a wrong'un, especially when its bowled by a Chinaman to the first drop batsmen on a greentop.

If you don't understand that, then you should definitely not listen to this piece of contemporary Australian culture:
The 12th Man - The Wired World of Sprts - YouTube

Ollie,

Brilliant stuff!

Ollie, as you swing the bat left of long on you'll find your right shoulder goes down and your right arm will be bent until after you slog it.

You could also think about hitting your box with the handle of the bat.

Then, when you want to hit a 6 over the bowler's head, swing towards mid off with the bat aiming towards the bowler.

Burner

New
Only English spoken here.

LOL. Burner.
The clouds are gathering, the pitch is cracking, the seam has been picked and is now stood up like a blind cobbler's thumbnail. The bowler has a perfect line and length and silly mid-off is stifling - That's how my game has been heretofore.

Now I've found the stuff from my original post and I couldn't be happier - Haven't swung this well since I was 16. Ball flight is superbly consistent and for the first time in ten years or so I'm actually excited to play

It's proof positive that if you take the stuff from this site and apply it diligently you can get yourself going. You've got to do the work, though, and really push yourself down different avenues of thought.

Glad to hear your Club swinging is better than your Bat swinging. But, always remember to belt that mofo back over the Bowler head and not caress it along the carpet through the covers. :D

Burner

New
Small world.

That's the problem with you Americans...you could be standing at short backward square and still not be able to see the difference between a googly and a wrong'un, especially when its bowled by a Chinaman to the first drop batsmen on a greentop.

If you don't understand that, then you should definitely not listen to this piece of contemporary Australian culture:

You Beauty Geoff. Been a while since I last heard that Richie spoof.
Incidentally, your countryman, and T20 opener, Rob Nicol was playing for my club in the U.K a couple of years back. Good lad, too.

Been so long since I've heard those, Geoff. Absolutely brilliant

art

New
Since joining this site I feel my own swing has improved in leaps and bounds, but, often, my old nemesis (Lindsey, one for you...:D) rears its ugly head (right side running into the left,

Dear OLIVER 1,

I think had you not referenced '"a locked, left arm cricketer's off drive and a bat out hard right, or, to save it, a nifty jump over the pivot and a dragging hook" you had a better chance of getting answers to your questions. I truly enjoyed the exchange of humor, thanks for setting it up.

However, if you are still interested in answers to your questions, and any others,, PM me with them, and I PROMISE I will answer them without and cricket references, since I was a baseball person.

Regards,
art

I was just thinking the same thing. Sorry chaps but even as a brit, any game where you have to stop for tea is not a sport.

There has to be a room in the Tower for you with remarks like that!!:)

You've been away for a while...

Dear OLIVER 1,

I think had you not referenced '"a locked, left arm cricketer's off drive and a bat out hard right, or, to save it, a nifty jump over the pivot and a dragging hook" you had a better chance of getting answers to your questions. I truly enjoyed the exchange of humor, thanks for setting it up.

However, if you are still interested in answers to your questions, and any others,, PM me with them, and I PROMISE I will answer them without and cricket references, since I was a baseball person.

Regards,
art
LOL. You're probably right, art. Unfortunately I tend to write as I think, and the 'cultural editor' who should stand sentry between my brain and my keyboard fingers is sometimes dozing on duty:)
I shall certainly PM you on my 'findings,' although 'findings' presupposes there was some method to my madness, whereas the truth is more akin to fumbling around in the dark.
I referenced BBKIB because the chest motion feels exactly how you've been describing the hip motion. I played a couple of holes yesterday and the difference is astonishing; however, the dynamic stability feels like it flows through the chest area and through to my pelvis, not vice versa. This ostensible causality has me confused, especially given the fact that I CAN feel a quietness to my lower body action.
I'm very much looking forward to chatting with you about this. We'll bat as openers, draw the sting from the medium pacers and swing bowlers with some straight-arming for a good amount of overs then we'll attack the spinners on a pretty benign pitch;)

Regards
Oliver

leon

New
There has to be a room in the Tower for you with remarks like that!!:)

You've been away for a while...

Trying to get my extension finished whilst raising a 3 month old doesn't leave much time for forum reading, especially when you're so tired that 9pm is bed time.

The tower sounds pretty appealing. At least I might get some sleep :)

Trying to get my extension finished whilst raising a 3 month old doesn't leave much time for forum reading, especially when you're so tired that 9pm is bed time.

The tower sounds pretty appealing. At least I might get some sleep :)

You have your hands full there, my friend. Good luck with everything...

leon

New
Cheers Oli. Have managed to negotiate a pass out for next week, so first round in about 6 months (assuming the course isn't under water). Expectations set sufficiently low - ball in the air more times than not and stretch goal of breaking 100!

If not, at least I've got Open tickets for next week (bought before #2 son came along and non-refundable :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.