Is there a reason why 10 finger grip is not good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any golfer over a 15 handicap would switch to a ten-finger grip today, there would be hundreds of thousands of better golfers around in just a couple of weeks.

My son just started playing ( 15 ) and he was using a 10 finger grip, and was hitting the ball far - and well. He then saw all the grips on TV, and decided he needed an overlap grip - he has struggled since then. He had a lesson when he was using the ten finger grip, and the pro
( who is very good ) did not say one thing about him switching the style of grip, only that it was a little weak. He switched because of crap he heard on TV. I told him to stay with what works...

Been playing golf 23 years. Switched to 10 finger grip 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I can't even get the ball airborne with my old overlap grip.

Whenever I try a 10 finger grip, I find my ball in the left rough. Can't seem to straighten out the flight. Any reasons why? What should I do differently?

Side note- I don't think you're a good golfer if you switch from overlap to 10 finger (or vice versa) and play much worse.
I can hit it ok both ways. Obviously under pressure the difference will be bigger but due to comfort rather than mechanics.

Tim Clark said he switched from 10 finger to overlap to quiet his draw down as he grew older.

I tried this today as well, I seemed to hit the ball straighter and more right arm thrust not a lot of pulling which is great. The only thing is I slice the ball from time to time with the driver. I don't see a lot of pull hooks with the overlap that I have before. It's easier to swing to the left without tugging underplane.

I have small hands but have never been successful with the ten finger grip. I tend towards underplane with a closed clubface, the ten finger grip really makes it go left. However, when I last had a lesson with Brian, he moved my right hand way on top of the club, where the right hand v points to my chin. It took a lot of the pressure out of where I overlap. With the right hand positioned this way I probably could go to the ten finger. It just does not feel right. For my game, how the right hand is set on the grip has become the most important aspect of my swing. When the right hand goes too far under, my path goes more in to out and the clubface really closes. I am not sold that what the right pinky does means much of anything unless your hands don't grip the club in the best way for your swing.

No question it produces a different swing. It can help to eliminate some issues that occur with the other 2 grips. Tugity do da tugity day, my o my what a tugity day.

Status
Not open for further replies.