Is there a TGM approach to putting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Three Imperatives

The Three Imperatives are the approach. Also, keeping your putting motion as similar to your full swing as possible.

"Toe down" putters work best for Dual Horizontal Hinge Action, "45°" balance putters for Angled, "face balanced" for Vertical only.

But....whatever works.

Leek

New
Really, Brian? Is it common? Any great putters do this? I like putting with a small pivot. It seems more consistent and solid.

I experimented with a little pivot in putting practice, but discarded it because I was so sure it was a bad idea. Of course, I've discarded a lot of good ideas because I thought you weren't "supposed to do them.

Excellent info, but how can you tell which of your three approaches-- relating to vertical, horizontal or angled hinging- you actually do naturally?

Bobby Locke baby. Very very noted that he used his pivot.

Mystifies me, really. (how does he doooooo it!....gasp....!)

Last edited:
I never liked the idea of rocking my shoulders to control the putting stroke, and in the past I used my abdominal muscles to control the stroker.

My approach to putting is now more hitterish and reflects my chip stroke. I use my middle finger to feel the putter head lag, my right hand faces the hole, I deloft the putter face, and use a very linear push stroke.

if ben crenshaw was before my day....bobby locke doesnt stand a chance

Ya I was reading a book by Snead............he got beat by Locke quite a bit apparently. 4 British Opens apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Locke

So when everyone is referring to using the pivot in putting, are they referring to the rocking of the shoulders??

Ya that's one thing...........basically it would be anything minus the arms/hands.

Locke I think used to kinda rock his whole body. Dunno how it works but apparently he was pretty amazing.

well like basic motion the shoulders can sometimes fall under the category of the power package and is seperate from the pivot much like basic motion

So when everyone is referring to using the pivot in putting, are they referring to the rocking of the shoulders??

I believe the pivot in putting refers to allowing the lower body to partake in the stroke, as required. In other words if the lower body wants to move in support of the stroke (the swinging putter) then let it move. Crenshaw disagrees with the so-called modern putting stroke -- a static or rigid lower body as the shoulders and hands rock it back and through. Crenshaw believes this adds tension to the overall motion.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I believe the pivot in putting refers to allowing the lower body to partake in the stroke, as required. In other words if the lower body wants to move in support of the stroke (the swinging putter) then let it move. Crenshaw disagrees with the so-called modern putting stroke -- a static or rigid lower body as the shoulders and hands rock it back and through. Crenshaw believes this adds tension to the overall motion.

Correct.

If you say someone "uses the pivot" in their putting stroke, it means the PIVOT—like in a REAL pitch shot, in miniature.

But considering all those things-- how do you determine if your natural stroke is vertical, angled or horizontal hinge? In other words, straight back straight through or open/close?

Dave Pelz?

Brian,

What are your thoughts on Dave Pelz and his analysis of the short game? You think he hit on anything of value?

Status
Not open for further replies.