Is there anyone that has dominated the game that copied someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
Is there anyone that has dominated the game of golf that copied someone else?

I think the answer to this question is why this site and Brian's upcoming summitt will be very interesting.

I don't see it.

If anyone has an example, please tell/show me.

Get help and find your swing and see if your talent is good enough to get you where you want to go.

I can't sing. I can't carry a tune. No chance no how. I don't think all the best instruction in the world would get me on broadway. Yet, if I was interested in getting better, I see no way that doing it on my own would help.

Deciding what is the best for each of us is where the skill of Brian and his staff come in to play.

That is how we get to be the best we can be.

We find the best swing for us and not copying Hogan's or Miller's or whoever's swing.

Accept them for what they are.

Admire them for what they produce.

Don't try and copy the whole thing.

At one point, people thought Adam Scott's swing and Tiger's old swing very nearly identical.

Best player in the world.

Rarely can win.

Last edited:
Don't know if you just asking about golf, but the first name that popped into my mind when I read the title was Kobe/Jordan. Nearly identical body types, skill sets, desire, and mannerisms. If you talking just golfers - I got nothing :confused:

ggsjpc

New
Don't know if you just asking about golf, but the first name that popped into my mind when I read the title was Kobe/Jordan. Nearly identical body types, skill sets, desire, and mannerisms. If you talking just golfers - I got nothing :confused:

yea golf only, just changed the title.

I don't know that much, but I can't think of anyone. It's kind of slim pickins though, How many players have actually DOMINATED the game of golf..two?

On a seperate note, I'm bummed I don't get to go to the GTE. The most interesting thing for me would be to see the evolution of the program over the years. I can't do that if I miss the first one:( I'm also really interested in seeing Brian's overall/big picture plan for furthering teaching excellence and getting the message out...sorry for the thread jack, I'll shut up now.

I think if you're talking about one person who copied solely another person, then no. But if you are talking about a person who copied bits and pieces from one person then bits and pieces from another, then yes.

Then I think there's an issue of what exactly 'copying' is. Some people may try to copy what they see, but they are not good impersonators and it wound up working for them anyway.

3JACK

jeffy

Banned
Gary Player tried to copy Hogan, but eventually gave up: said Hogan was a "gymnast" and that trying to copy him was ruining his game. Gardner Dickinson had a similar experience, got short and flat, and had to turn to Toney Penna to rebuild his swing. Ended up a huge Snead fan.

Knudson "swung more like Hogan than Hogan", but didn't have the mental make-up to dominate. Also, liked to party.

Venturi was taught by both Hogan and Byron Nelson, but his swing was decidedly different. Venturi wrote that none of the players he knew that seriously tried to copy Hogan's swing ever really pulled it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.