Johnny Miller's Ten Rules to Sticking Your Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good tips in there, however he fails to mention anything about pivot. You can have all of the tips in the world down, but if you're not pivoting effectively, you're not nailing anything on a consistent basis. Miller, like every successful golfer in the history of the game pivoted effectively. I've never broken down Miller's swing in his prime, but I'm willing to guess that at the time he had one of the greatest pivots in the history of the game. It seems like all of the legends and some of the greatest ballstrikers all had amazing pivots.

3JACK

It seems like all of the legends and some of the greatest ballstrikers all had amazing pivots.

thats like saying all great ballstrikers had flat left wrists at impact and two hands on the club. those are givens. that article is about what he did that he thinks made him better than everyone else, and the difference wasn't his pivot.

Number 10 helped Nick Faldo to become as good as he did, but some people say he just "bunted" the ball around the course like its a bad thing

Dariusz J.

you would be singing a different tune if Hogan said it. kind of crazy too since Miller during his prime was as good an iron player as Hogan.

Naaah, I am a huge Hogan fan but not to a degree that makes me be not objective. I know how good Miller was, BTW.
TF, if I remember from Penick's Little Red Book - this issue was covered there. Mr.Penick reported that he knew two or three golfers who could see the ball at impact and wrote that "even Hogan said that he lost the sight of the ball somewhere in the downswing".
In order to achieve such an unreal thing one needed to have a overhuman head-eye synchron.

Cheers

Naaah, I am a huge Hogan fan but not to a degree that makes me be not objective. I know how good Miller was, BTW.
TF, if I remember from Penick's Little Red Book - this issue was covered there. Mr.Penick reported that he knew two or three golfers who could see the ball at impact and wrote that "even Hogan said that he lost the sight of the ball somewhere in the downswing".
In order to achieve such an unreal thing one needed to have a overhuman head-eye synchron.

Cheers

how are you claiming it as "unreal" if Penick knew of people that could see the ball at impact and Miller claims to be ablet to also. Does it make it not real because Hogan couldn't do it?

Dariusz J.

OK, do you know ANYONE who is capable to "photograph" the ball at impact ?

I claim it unreal since human eye is a relatively very weak instrument and it is easy to cheat it even with stationary tricks.

Cheers

What Miller really must mean I think (because he has made it known before) is "freezing" impact (as a moment in time) in your brain.

The mechanics you want to produce (specifics).......then in your mind as an image.......as a feel............etc.

He thought of impact as a real "position" and tried to "hit that position."

Apparently when he was playing real well he had very clear images and feelings of impact.

To my eye Player did this as well. Just to my eye though.

Lots of guys have their heads down at impact BTW. How clear they SEE (with their eyes) the clubhead hitting the ball is not really important, I think.

I do believe it is about "the mind's eye."

My OP.

With regards to "head down".....it is not my style at all anyway. I am of the Annika, David Duval school.

(skoole)

Last edited:
Interesting article.

So Miller hit his 9-iron 125 and 6-iron 160. Granted this is not the Pro-V1/V1x era, but it just shows that you don't have to it the ball crazy distances to to be a great golfer.

OK, do you know ANYONE who is capable to "photograph" the ball at impact ?

I claim it unreal since human eye is a relatively very weak instrument and it is easy to cheat it even with stationary tricks.

Cheers

I don't know anyone that can do it personally. I don't know any US Open champions personally either. This really isn't anything that he hasn't said before. His instructional dvds are all based around knowing where you want to be at impact and then reaching that position with the swing. He definitely does not follow the "do this and that right and impact with happen naturally" school of thought.

What was Miller's prime? Two years? I guess the kodachrome quit working.

On the other hand, I like Johnny as an anouncer, he tells it like it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.