Junior Club Fitting Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
US kids clubs could be a little light for some kids.

The La Jolla clubs have heavier club heads and generally more flexible shafts. They may work better for stronger kids.

Or you could try cut down ladies clubs for a more athletically inclined stronger kids.

Have them try each option and pick the club that falls between..

whipping the club around like it's a pencil

and

the club is swinging them

They should have to work a little to get the club swinging.

Matt

Maybe visit a clubfitter? Some LL shafts without tip trim to make them even softer are not an issue. There are also heads that have weight screws which can be removed to get them in the correct swingweight and don't forget the junior grip.

All depends on the strength of the kid and his grown pattern. I re-fit my kids every 6-8 months, sometimes just the length, sometimes just the shaft flex and sometimes everything.

The problem with junior clubs is that I don't think anyone "really" knows. I'm sure there's a handful of fitters out there that know but I'm sure most do not. My kids have US Kid clubs but I'm not overly impressed. They use the same exact heads for their different sizes, just different shafts. Like someone mentioned earlier, they are pretty light for some kids. I think US Kids make good clubs for a young golfer but I think the best thing they do is marketing, and not R&D/manufacturing. I would pay top dollar if I could find someone to really fit my boy. He's gonna blow up golf one of these days.

The problem with junior clubs is that I don't think anyone "really" knows.

The complete Golf Club Fitting Plan, by Ralph Maltby. Junior clubfitting page 182/183 and tables on page 184/185/186/187.

But don't think fitting is the problem, what about the teacher

The complete Golf Club Fitting Plan, by Ralph Maltby. Junior clubfitting page 182/183 and tables on page 184/185/186/187.

But don't think fitting is the problem, what about the teacher

Thanks, might need to track that book down. What do you do for your kids and how old are they? Component heads, etc.? Brands? thx

PS If I stick with US Kids clubs next year I think my son will need the "Tour" series. Anyone run across these at all?

Does the Maltby book use age or physical measurements? My son is like baby Shaq; age based wouldn't be overly helpful...

Does the Maltby book use age or physical measurements? My son is like baby Shaq; age based wouldn't be overly helpful...

Both, age and sexe to determine averages as a guide line, physical like for example weight to finetune both flex and swingweight.

From the Maltby book said:
It is extremly important to understand that one cannot fit golf clubs to junior using these tables unless other factors are also taken into consideration and certain adjustments made

Thanks, might need to track that book down. What do you do for your kids and how old are they? Component heads, etc.? Brands? thx

My kids got fitted the first time around the age 7/8. I selected the components based on the needed specification and (they are both girls) available colors :D

Now at the age of 12 and 14, this season the 12 years old has a KZG/Novatech (Graphite L/A flex) combination for the irons. A special junior putter (Golfsmith XPC) and a 16Degree Bang (pink) driver/ helium shaft (L FLex, 45 grm).

The other has SMT 303MB / Novatech (Graphite R Flex) a KZG mallet putter and a 14Degree 320cc Bang SF Driver / Fujukura E150 Fit-on (Flex R). But she will be switching to a 9Degree 420 Bang Bangster.

Both still use their old wedges which for now I'm not allowed to touch :eek:

We play every weekend and once in a while they both will hit shots on the trackman. As soon as the TM figures or the swing during play or the result during play are such that I start questioning material or swing-changes we re-fit.

If the kids are big enough, try well made 'ladies' clubs, or even mens with TT release or dynalite shaft. Buy a few clubheads and shafts and experiment - clubs are simple to make and the components are not very expensive and you don't have to buy a whole set. Lie angle might be a problem, maybe you could order clubheads bent flat.

Kids visiting my house didn't like what they called 'those bent things' (offset cavity backs). They kept looking until they found some 'real golf clubs' - Toney Penna blades.

Jwat

New
Anyone know if the "Swing Speed Radar" will show a lower speed from a kid?

From my experience, the swing speed radar is very inaccuarate. I wouldn't trust it with anyones swing. Of course I always used it outdoors. My work better inside hitting into a net.

From my experience, the swing speed radar is very inaccuarate. I wouldn't trust it with anyones swing. Of course I always used it outdoors. My work better inside hitting into a net.

Thanks, although disappointing. I'd like to find something accurate. I did find an answer to my question in case anyone is wondering:

Hello Curtis

In the golf swing speed mode the radar algorithm cuts off at about 40 mph. In the bat speed mode, the minimum swing speed measurable is about 20 mph.

Please call at your convenience if you would like to discuss.

Thanks for your inquiry

Al Dilz

Sports Sensors, Inc.

adilz@cinci.rr.com

888-542-9246

Good talent or what?

Start him on a glass eating diet at an early age.

Yeah birdie_boy, pretty good talent. My daughter is real good for a 9 year old as a local pro wants her to get into tournaments this year. My 5 year old is on a whole different level however. The best part about him is that his favorite things to do are chipping and putting - which explains how he can sink 15 foot putts and chip in off the green. He also has an amazing swing and can put it out just as far as his big sister sometimes. He loves the game. My biggest worry is trying to make him better but not mess him up.

I would say the best thing to do is stay out of his way until he is over 10.

I hear yah. He was bombing his driver this spring and now he's hitting them lower, even with a little hook to them sometimes-I think I messed him up. Also tried to get him into an interlocking grip which he can do, but I don't think he's very comfortable with it. Just gonna let him do the baseball grip but still have his left thumb done the grip. I'm gonna get the Casio out one of these days and take a better look at this swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.