Just met the new Long Drive Champion...if he decides to ever compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
So this is right out of Happy Gilmore, some of you may not even believe me.

I'm at the range last night testing out some new equipment when i saw a friend from work there. I help him on his swing a bit and he decides to leave and go get his friends. They are a few range stalls away from where we were. This is when i spot the guy, i see him swing (super long backswing akin to most LD guys) and he hits the ball and it was the loudest collision i have ever heard.

Now the ball didn't go anywhere because it just ballooned right up into the air. However just the sheer sound of impact and seeing him swing the club i knew he had to be north of 130-135mph. I bet you are wondering how i could tell that? Well i know 2 people who have/do compete in Sr. Long Drive events and neither of these guys could hit it as hard as this kid and they in the 130s low 140s.

So i was introduced by my work friend and i straight up asked him if he was ever on a monitor before. He said yes on a monitor at a different range. I asked him if he knew which one trying to figure out the accuracy of whatever he was going to tell me and i believe it was an older version of flightscope. Reason i believe that is because that range, the golf shop, i know has one. Ready for what he said flightscope was telling him? He said swing speed ratings were between 155-165mph! Now even if we say flightscope isn't perfect and is maybe reading 5-7% too high that is still obnoxious. Oh btw this was with a 45" driver and not a LD setup at max length.

If you are wondering he is built like a brick house; about 5'11" - 6'0" (i'm 5'10.5" so i guessed based on that) with a similar frame to me but all muscle and probably 230-240lbs of pure muscle but not in a bulky way. I mean i don't know why the kid isn't in the NFL playing strong safety destroying people. So i asked him how long he has been hitting golf balls and he told not very long since he would just go with his dad and randomly hit balls at the year. I think he told me specifically how long but it i know it is less than a year. I also asked him if he played baseball and had obnoxious power with that too. He told me that he plays a lot of softball and can routinely hit a 12" softball over 300 feet. He said his record that they measured was 374 ft with a 12" softball.

I told him that he had the raw speed and power to compete in real LD competitions and contend if he decided to really pursue it with a proper head and shaft combination. I don't know if he really will but he is without a doubt the hardest swinger of the golf club i have ever come across. The odd thing too is that while he obviously takes a giant rip at the ball it doesn't seem ungodly out of control; i mean no more than what Bubba Watson looks like.

Thought i would share

The only thing I find hard to believe is... what the hell's a 12" softball???? Down here we call them basketballs or heads.:)

Pretty cool. The impact sound and ball sound is very unique to say the least when someone smacks it at speeds above 120mph. I saw a 19-year old out on the range swinging with crazy impact sounds and demanded he get on the Flightscope ASAP- 127-134 mph. He ran out of range and was hitting into the farm on the other side of the fence when I gave him my driver to hit. He said that was the first golf club he ever purchased and I believe him because he had a Maxfli R-flex driver. He didn't even know that there are different shaft flexes. Great stuff to watch.

Ryan Winther swings it that fast. I've seen him swing and it's pretty otherworldly to see and hear impact at speeds your car won't even reach.

ej20

New
not saying it's definitely BS but I gotta see it to believe it.Sadlowski says his maximum is 153 but probably averages in the mid 140's with a 48in driver.This kid is 10mph faster than Sadlowski with a regular driver?If it's true he definitely should get into LD.

A former employee of ours is out making a name for himself on the longdrive circuit now. Last time I talked to him his swing speed was up to the 160's and ball speeds in the 230's. Absolutely destroys the golf ball, it's amazing to watch.

If given choices by god, you get to be either hitting ball speed @ 160 mph for the rest of your life, or shooting 72 for the rest of your life, which one would you pick?

If given choices by god, you get to be either hitting ball speed @ 160 mph for the rest of your life, or shooting 72 for the rest of your life, which one would you pick?

72 might win you a major or two if the course is really tricky and the weather is terrible...but you might not qualify.

160 will put some long drive contest dough in your pocket for a long, long time if you can keep it on the grid.

I would take SWING SPEED OF 160 but not ball speed. I would take 72 over ball speed of 160 though

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Ya ball speed of 160 is only like 108mph of driver swing speed. However i know that i can shoot better than 72 so i don't want to stuck at 72 for the rest of my life either. but my ball speed last i check is north of 160 so i choose neither! lol

jimmyt

New
The only thing I find hard to believe is... what the hell's a 12" softball???? Down here we call them basketballs or heads.:)

Hey Granato:

The 12" softball is not even the biggest one the city of Chicago plays. I'm from Chicago and I have played in softball leagues that are played with a 16" softball and NO gloves. How's that for tough or maybe stupid. Jim K can attest to the fact that the 16" softball is not a mush ball. When you take that 16" Clincher out of the box it is pretty hard. I have broken many fingers playing softball during my days in Chicago.

Jimmy

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Hey Granato:

The 12" softball is not even the biggest one the city of Chicago plays. I'm from Chicago and I have played in softball leagues that are played with a 16" softball and NO gloves. How's that for tough or maybe stupid. Jim K can attest to the fact that the 16" softball is not a mush ball. When you take that 16" Clincher out of the box it is pretty hard. I have broken many fingers playing softball during my days in Chicago.

Jimmy

Exactly, what he said

It's the circumference, not diameter. I was picturing something out of BASEketball at first.

Baseketball+3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.