keep my right shoulder back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

How do I keep my right shoulder back in the downswing? It seems that when I hit drivers or long irons I always end up coming over the top and pulling the shot. How can I work getting this right?

Thanks

Mike

Brian,

Are you talking about getting more axis tilt on the downswing? I have been working on this a bit and it has helped. Thanks again!

Mike

Brian, for a man of a few words you do say some interesting stuff, I have always been very stationary with the lower body and have at times killed the ball and other times powdered puff it.To think of the lower tailbone moving toward the target does get the right shoulder deep and takes the hands out from the top, cool stuff! Some day I'm getting there for lessons, TIM

As a novice in golf, I might be wrong, and this is why I want to put this question forward. Understanding the mechanic of the golf swing is important. But executing the correct mechanic could be something involving a lot of psychology factors in it. Our mind instruct our body to move, base on the sense of balance as well as our mind translating the verbal command into action. But not necessarily that our body will execute the exact verbal command into the expected motion; as <1> the motion could be a learnt skill, <2> the motion are dependent/affected by our body balance (Tai Chi principle)
For example, if my coach ask me to clear my hip, where “clear the hip” is the verbal command, and because of the above <1> and <2> rules. I might be rotating my shoulder rather then the lower body. The more I want to clear my hip, the more I am moving my upper body before impact (Where the shoulder should come out after impact), and because of the counter balance issue, the mind will refuse to clear the hip for me; base on the above “clearing the hip” instruction.
If we are giving an instruction of using our hand only to throw a ball as far as we can, 9 out of 10 cases, we will be using our body power as well as the hand.
Again, if we are getting an instruction of using our body rotation power to throw the ball, with a passive hand, we will always tempted to use our hand, in order to generate power.
So now, in order to control the right shoulder back, and maintain an inside to square swing path. Could we just simply having a sensation of using the hands and wrist to hit the ball and not thinking about our body rotation. By doing so, we can video it and see what will it look like.
We got to understand the mechanic of the golf swing, but again we got to understand how our mind works as well. In Tai Chi, we learn how to move our body by thinking the motion rather then moving our body, and the meaning of “Chi” is how we achieve a perfect body angle in order to deliver the maximum force.
I do understand, I am trying to complicate the matter a little bit, but golf is a complex game. Demanding the golf instruction be kept simple does not make it simple – only incomplete and ineffective.

Status
Not open for further replies.