Kid's Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco Billy

Hi There

Assuming a 9 Year Old Kid had the Resources for a Series of Lessons and wanted to Learn how to Swing a Golf Club and was Basically starting from Scratch..... How would you as Teaching Pros or Skilled Amateurs accomplish this Task.....

Cheers

Last edited:

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
I would:

Teach the kid how to grip it decent...set up to it decent...then teach him as he goes...

I've been teaching a 4th grader once a week going on over a year now, and we simply play alternate shot together now. I'll give him a few pointers, but basically my goal is to make sure he has fun and enjoys playing the game.

Bronco Billy

Order building blocks

Hi There

How About Lincoln Logs or Lego.... Are these too advanced for a 9 Year Old....
Ive Seen a few 9 Year Olds that could play BaseBall for the Cubs in Lean Years......:D :D :D

I hope the Hell There aren't a lot of Parents out There who believe in playing games and keeping score will send there kids to Dr. Phil..... Hell Iv'e seen Pictures of Tiger on TV hitting golf Balls with Earl and he was a hell of a lot Younger than 9...... Tiger seems to be some what well Adjusted.....

Cheers

Bronco Billy

:D
Dude you totally lost me but you know I'm speaking of a video right?

Hi There

Sorry ShortGamer..... I Really Thought you Meant the Blocks with the Letters on Them..... The Ones I'm Playing with Right Now....:D :D I think I get it Now... One of Brian's Videos..... I Ain't to Bright.....

Cheers

Last edited:
I think the best thing, like Ryan said, is to teach the kid just enough fundamentals and then let him go nuts.

I'd teach them to grip it correctly, try to emphasize the importance of hitting the ground, and teach them how to finish in balance. Then let 'em go!

And make sure he tries to hit it as hard as he can (in balance). Always easier to reign 'em back then to try and teach 'em to bomb it!

Stew

Brian Manzella

Administrator
A Re-Print...edited for 2007....:)

TEACH 'EM WHAT THEY NEED TO DO..and that they can!

by Brian Manzella

I gave my first golf lesson in 1982. It was a clinic to a group of about two dozen really young junior golfers and their moms. I was put in charge of the near defunct, City Park (New Orleans) Summer Junior Program. We were to meet ten more times that summer. This was the little ones (and the big ones) introduction to what I was going to teach them. I have long forgotten what I said. But I do remember what I didn’t say. I didn’t talk about how we were going to learn to stand ‘square’ to the target. I didn’t say anything about getting the club to parallel. I said something about golf being very ‘do-able’ and they all were going to learn. They did.

25,000 or so golf instruction hours later, I’d say pretty much the same thing. Something like you have to hit the ball on the way down to make it go up, and you have swing in a circle to make it go straight. I might add that the grip and left wrist control the clubface and that’s what makes the ball curve-or not.

Giving a good golf lesson has as much to do with what you don’t say as what you do.

The golf ball only knows what the club is doing, so that’s the place to start. For example: A 72 year old great grandmother who has only played golf for two years comes to you for a lesson. She tops almost every shot. She bends her left arm a bunch on every extra-flat backswing. She looks like she lifts her head through the ball. She has no forward weight ‘shift.’ What would you do?

I love watching teachers teach golf. But sometimes all I get out of it is disappointment. Lots of instructors would straighten the lady’s left arm, have her keep her head down and shift that weight. After she topped it again they might tell her to “stay down.”

What that lady really needs is to know is that the ball must be hit on the way down. That if you do that correctly, you’ll make a divot in front of the ball and to do that you have to swing the club up enough, so you can hit down enough. That if you unwind correctly and wind up standing on your left foot, you can reach the spot in front of the ball where the club should bottom out.

Of course getting her to do all of that is the hard part-and the fun part. That’s the part you get to try to figure out how to teach her to ‘do it.’ With and by any means possible.

No matter how poorly it looks like a student is learning it is often just an illusion. The one doing poorly is usually you. That’s when you really learn to teach. When you have to find a way to get the student to get the club to do what it needs to do. No matter what the student looks like they can’t do, they can get the club to hit the inside of the ball on the way down and square up the face by the time it comes off the face. Figure out a way.

When I taught that junior program I made sure that every kid thought, that I thought, they could do it. That way they kept trying to do whatever I was trying to get them to do.

My last time teaching at The City Park Junior Golf program was in 1996. By then it had grown to nearly 500 junior golfers every summer. Due to varoius reasons—but mostly the opposite of what made it so popular—it was slowly dieing before Katrina killed it.

I never received one bit of credit in the press, or from the PGA for what I did. But, about 8 or so years ago, one of the kids from the very early years (early 80's), now a Doctor, saw my name in the paper in Ohio for a US Open qualifiing, and came to caddy for me. More than enough credit for me.

B,

I've got a talented 8 y/o that plays all over the Country in US Kids events and whatever his Dad can get him in. He loves it plays really well, and typically wins the hardware.

Scenario: He's a flipper. Open face, cupped left wrist at the top, casts the club, gets up on his toes to make room for the cast and the flip and hits it on the screws more often than I do....

Question: I'm trying to introduce some "games" to get his clubface and sequence on the road to better adult golf, but I don't want to hurt his confidence if he can't do it. His Dad wants me to try and "fix" him, but I'm worried that it will hinder his natural talent to get the ball in the hole.

Thoughts? Comments?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I would just teach him to take a divot in front of the ball, that is all I work on with my girls.....just getting them to take some dirt in front of the ball. They can both mash it. They don't "play golf" though, they just mess around in the backyard with me. I don't know when I will take them to the course and let them start "playing" they have a lot of fun in the yard for now.

bcoak

New
Try and get him as close with the fundamentals then tell him to figure out a way to get it in the hole. Play games; high, low, under tees, cuts, draws, hooks, slices. Slowly improve the mechanics (grip, stance, alignment) and cultivate the feel.

Give them a heavy club that they can't handle. That way the club will go down and out. That's what my dad did for me when I was 7 and no matter what I'd try to do, it was always down and out.

Thanks fellas. Good stuff there.

Interesting comment about the clubs.

He is using really light US Kids irons. They are feathers.... they are so light its like an adult manipulating a regulation iron...

Trouble is, he dominates his peers for now. He can't hear the fundamentally sound truck coming at him, but I can.

Bronco Billy

B,

I've got a talented 8 y/o that plays all over the Country in US Kids events and whatever his Dad can get him in. He loves it plays really well, and typically wins the hardware.

Scenario: He's a flipper. Open face, cupped left wrist at the top, casts the club, gets up on his toes to make room for the cast and the flip and hits it on the screws more often than I do....

Question: I'm trying to introduce some "games" to get his clubface and sequence on the road to better adult golf, but I don't want to hurt his confidence if he can't do it. His Dad wants me to try and "fix" him, but I'm worried that it will hinder his natural talent to get the ball in the hole.

Thoughts? Comments?

Hi There

His Old Man's Paying the Freight and Want's the Kid Fixed...... Fix Him.... Earl Fixed Tiger and Tiger never had to go to Dr Phil..... If One Practices Bad Things then One gets Worse.... I'm Bettin Brian Would Fix Him....

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Fixed and selling Allstate.....no offfense.

My "theory" 20 years ago....even 25 years ago...was to fix everything as soon as possible on young "tournament" golfers. This way, they would get to learn to compete with the "good move."

I was—at least partially—wrong.

When I get a new younf golfer of any age, I teach them a good grip and set-up, and I get them to learn to make a good pivot, hit the ball on the way down, and finish like a pro. If they slice, I fix it. Hook, ditto.

If they have a "circle delivery path"....so what?

If they can hit down on the ball, hit it long enough, and compete....even a mini-flip would be allowed.

Of course I teach them to chip and pitch without a flip, and of course, some with the flip (on purpose).

But..."perfection" for perfections sake...didn't work.

I once had a stable of young golfers that if ya'll could see the video, would BLOW YOU AWAY. They looked like Hogan and Mickey Wright's baby.

But they didn't make it.

When you hit it as good as everyone else, and you play golf swing all the time, and "your swing is better than their swing," you are playing the wrong game.

Just score, baby.

My current crop of young golfers don't have the perfect mechanics of the 1990-1995 crop, or even the 1998-2003 crop. But they can play.

With cmartin's little golfer, I'd try to fix him without doing anything too drastic.

I like the idea of doing it through shots.

I can "fix" golfers without breaking them pretty well though...;)

But tread VERY LIGHTLY with SUCCESSFUL YOUNG ONES.

Status
Not open for further replies.