Kind of for Brian/Academy - Hitting from upslope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
When I saw Brian last summer, one drill he wanted me to do was to hit from some upslopes.

Yesterday I was on the course, I had two such lies, and as always, I get great compression and impact.

If I could drag a little upslope mound with me everywhere that would be great, but obviously flat lies exist...I just don't compress the ball as well on those.

So what I don't understand is how to translate that attack into a flat lie situation. Do I have to tilt more to the right and play the ball a little further back than normal? Perhaps there is something else going on, like the upslope is helping me to get and stay more on the right side?

btw, Happy Easter!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
He recommended the same drill for me. Just like you, I love upslope lies on the golf course, you really can feel the compression.

IMO, you don't have tilt as much on those types of lies, to get the results you want, which is what makes producing compression much easier.

KnighT

New
Dbl,

Just a thought....maybe on the uphill lie you achieve impact with a club shaft that is more forward leaning (because of the upslope) than what you normally achieve on flat lies.

If you have 'confessions of a former flipper' take a slow motion, frame-by-frame look at Brian hitting two shots in particular: the punch shot, and the shot he hits after giving the 'coke machine' idea....when he puts the plane board in the way on the backswing. Two of my favorite 'mash it' compression golf shots that I watch on a regular basis.

dbl

New
DBL, why dont you were 6 inch lifts on your left foot...lol

Don't think that doesn't make sense to me.

After writing the OP I was thinking perhaps I should practice with a two by four under my left foot. Doing that, perhaps I can detect some motion or feel and then try hitting without the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.