Kinematic sequence question

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveT

Excellent 'scientific' question, Hogan1953 .... and I think anybody with a basic understanding of the physics should be able to respond to your question.

However since 'science' can't fully explain all the nuances of the golfswing, I think somebody like BManz should provide his analysis based on his new scientific knowledge and deep understanding of the golfswing.

The technology within Project 1.68 should fully confirm the science.

IMO, definitely not. Your arms are connected to your body at the shoulder joint and that's enough connection for the kinetic chain to work to max efficiency. But I have no measurements to support this opinion.

I have no scientific data, but I would think that free arms are necessary to hit the ball a long way. I don't think you'll find too many long ball hitters packing their arms into their chests.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Is the transfer of the energy from the torso to the arms in the downswing more efficient if the arms are more "connected" to the body or doesn't it matter?

Not being coy...just dont feel like typing alot....but from what ive learned in the last month my guess would be absolutely not.

One question... why?

Ideally each piece of the chain adds more energy from the last piece of the chain if done in a proper timing sequence. My take on the subject, the arms are near the end of the chain and can add more energy or just be stuck by the sides of the body. Your choice.

Not being coy...just dont feel like typing alot....but from what ive learned in the last month my guess would be absolutely not.

I haven't been where you have, but I would agree.

We need range of motion to generate speed. Keeping the arms in tight to the ribcage would seem limiting. Although it may increase stability for some.

S

SteveT

Hmmmm ... let's go back to first principles .....

The shoulders provide the torque from all that KE, so it would seem that a tighter arm swing radius would be flung faster than extending the arms away from the swing center and creating more inertia working against the shoulder torque.

However this assumes there is no 'leverage' provided by the lead arm or 'thrust' from the rear arm .. which may require or create a larger swing radius for clearances to effectively execute.

Perhaps there is a happy medium for optimal effect where the arms can stay close, but move out far enough to allow arm actions.

This is the kind of scientific problem that BManz can resolve in Project 1.68 within their scientific group.

lia41985

The shoulders provide the torque from all that KE, so it would seem that a tighter arm swing radius would be flung faster than extending the arms away from the swing center and creating more inertia working against the shoulder torque.

However this assumes there is no 'leverage' provided by the lead arm or 'thrust' from the rear arm .. which may require or create a larger swing radius for clearances to effectively execute.

Perhaps there is a happy medium for optimal effect where the arms can stay close, but move out far enough to allow arm actions.

This is the kind of scientific problem that BManz can resolve in Project 1.68 within their scientific group.
Loved this explanation, Steve. Thanks!

The technology within Project 1.68 should fully confirm the science.

Steve, why do you continue to act like you know what is going to be in Project 1.68? Do you? Or are you trying to make yourself seem more important? Just about every one of your recent posts says something similar to the quote above.

S

SteveT

Loved this explanation, Steve. Thanks!

Perhaps you could dig up a plethora of pictures, showing how pro golfers execute their arm fling/fold ... because a picture (with lines superimposed) is worth a thousand swing thoughts ...:eek:

S

SteveT

Steve, why do you continue to act like you know what is going to be in Project 1.68? Do you? Or are you trying to make yourself seem more important? Just about every one of your recent posts says something similar to the quote above.

Hey ... I'm trying to tone it down after BManz said that all the fatboys fled the forum after I explained the consequences of extra weight on health and the kinetic chain ... sheeeesh ...!!!

S

SteveT

Not really an answer, but ok.

I returned to the BManz forum after a self-imposed absence of 6 years ... and to my surprise and pleasure BManz had eschewed TGM for TrackMan, D-plane and the physics of the golfswing by seeking out legitimate scientific advice and knowledge.

The neanderthal mentality still persists amongst some here, but my hope is that Project 1.68 will be their salvation. One can only hope ...:)

lia41985

Perhaps you could dig up a plethora of pictures, showing how pro golfers execute their arm fling/fold ... because a picture (with lines superimposed) is worth a thousand swing thoughts ...:eek:
Here you go, Steve (and a former fat boy to boot!):
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0kOjCfhf4o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0kOjCfhf4o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
The sequence from :34 to :38 is gorgeous.

Last edited:
I returned to the BManz forum after a self-imposed absence of 6 years ... and to my surprise and pleasure BManz had eschewed TGM for TrackMan, D-plane and the physics of the golfswing by seeking out legitimate scientific advice and knowledge.

The neanderthal mentality still persists amongst some here, but my hope is that Project 1.68 will be their salvation. One can only hope ...:)

Did you make that call yet or will the warden not give you special phone call privileges tonight?

Thanks for all your input.

In the Anti-summit tapes there was some debate about the length of the radius and the affect that that has on the linear speed of the clubhead. If the arms are in tighter, the body may be able to rotate faster as the mass is closer to the centre of rotation but that has a negative affect on the linear speed of the clubhead as the radius has been reduced. I'm assuming this is the main reason for suggesting that the arms shouldn't be too "connected" to the body in the downswing.

Having said that though I can't see much space anywhere in the downswing of the Ben Hogan "Power Golf" sequence which Brian sent me a few years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.