Kinematic Sequence - Wedge Shots (20-50 yards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The typical kinematic sequences for full shots is (I believe) as follows:

hips,
shoulders,
arms,
hands, and then
clubhead

What's the typical kinematic sequences for wedge shots 20-50 yards and HOW does one increase clubhead speed so that the clubhead travels faster without digging the leading edge into the ground? A "casting" or "out toss" motion to get the clubhead to travel faster?

I'm sick of digging with the leading edge.

It's not a kinematic issue. Its a lack of clubhead swing.

Take your address position. Soften your elbows and see how far you can swing the clubhead back without moving anything else. Now bring it back to the ball. Now see how far you can swing the clubhead past the ball without moving anything else.

Rinse and repeat.

Start slow and build up some rhythm. If you begin digging the leading edge, your over-accelerating the handle.

How does one under accelerate the handle but over accelerate the clubhead? I have no idea absent some type of casting or flipping (not severe flipping IMO).

Flip it a little more.

My feel from these distances....coming into impact; feel like your left hand slows down and decelerates (but doesn't stop) and
feel like your right hand speeds up and accelerates during the impact interval

Picture your pitch shot from face on. Digging the leading edge in at impact means your low point is well below and well ahead of the ball.

Now picture a root 8-10" ahead of your ball. Your pitching low point should be more of a "touch and go" where you miss the root.

As long as your hands are moving up enough through impact, a little forward shaft lean won't kill you.

Capiche?

Forget all that kinematic sequences crap and hit it almost like a long putt. Just add a little more pivot/body rotation for the power needed. You can use this shot easily out to 70 yards.

All you're doing is eliminating excessive wrist cock and shallowing out the attack angle.

Picture your pitch shot from face on. Digging the leading edge in at impact means your low point is well below and well ahead of the ball.

Now picture a root 8-10" ahead of your ball. Your pitching low point should be more of a "touch and go" where you miss the root.

As long as your hands are moving up enough through impact, a little forward shaft lean won't kill you.

Capiche?

So the goal here to move the lowpoint back towards the ball and shallow out the angle of attack?

(And therefore, you CAN have a low point that is too far forward, i.e. a low point that is too far forward for your angle of attack to cope with?).

So the goal here to move the lowpoint back towards the ball and shallow out the angle of attack?

(And therefore, you CAN have a low point that is too far forward, i.e. a low point that is too far forward for your angle of attack to cope with?).

Yes and yes.

If your leading edge is digging to a point where its a serious problem, than it would stand to reason that your hands are lower and more forward than they should be and your chest is still over the ball (i.e. you've maintained your forward flexion too long.)

If you begin to "throw the drunk off" sooner, your left shoulder will have moved significantly further away from the ball, the hands will follow and ultimately the clubhead.

Most "handle draggers", if they attempt to toss the clubhead a bit more, will start by throwing the clubhead into the ground behind the ball. Why? Because you can't toss unless you make some room.

wonder if someone has trackman numbers for those 30 yard low spinners....then you can just try replicate those numbers using your own hand path and torques.

Yes and yes.

If your leading edge is digging to a point where its a serious problem, than it would stand to reason that your hands are lower and more forward than they should be and your chest is still over the ball (i.e. you've maintained your forward flexion too long.)

If you begin to "throw the drunk off" sooner, your left shoulder will have moved significantly further away from the ball, the hands will follow and ultimately the clubhead.

Most "handle draggers", if they attempt to toss the clubhead a bit more, will start by throwing the clubhead into the ground behind the ball. Why? Because you can't toss unless you make some room.

e -

So to make room with the toss for a handle dragger you need to add extension with your spine (or throw the drunk off)?

I don't drink that much, but I do handle drag!!!! ;)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
1) Open the face just a tiny tiny TINY bit (emphasis on tiny lol). This will encourage you to use more bounce
2) Aim left just a hair more than normal (if you aren't already you should be) to get the ball going where you want
3) Yes, it is basically what feels like a bit of a flip. Everything is normal and then around impact you basically "quit" on it and just let that clubhead slide under the ball and past your hands.

The idea is to create a "soft impact," less compression (ball speed) and more spin. Takes some practice and you also need a wedge with the proper grind too to make it easier.

Hope that helps.

wonder if someone has trackman numbers for those 30 yard low spinners....then you can just try replicate those numbers using your own hand path and torques.

Don't have any numbers but I don't think they will help.

A long time ago in a far off place I used to be the master of low spinners. I could make the ball spin back from 30 yds for fun. My feeling was steep to shallow, fast as you like.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Ideally you want a wedge with a leading edge that isn't too rounded and sits low to the ground but has a wide enough sole to still provide bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.