Knockdown shot primer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that I need to add a knockdown shot/punch shot to my game and I was wondering if the learned folks here could offer some advice as to the best way to go about hitting one. I remember watching one of Tiger's clinics on The Golf Channel and one thing that he mentioned was that in addition to playing the ball further back in his stance, he stood closer to the ball than for a normal shot. I found that interesting. Any other advice? Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The key to keeping the ball down is LIMITING the amount of backspin in most cases, so you will need to take more club and swing slightly less to keep the spin off the ball so that it doesn't rise higher than you want it too.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"Knockdown"

1. Weight Set 65-35 on the left.

2. Stay centered enough on the backswing to limit the length of swing some.

3. Arched left wrist at impact.

4. Slow start down.

5. Limited pivot through the ball.

6. Slight slide forward of tailbone EARLY in the downswing or before!

7. 70% speed.

8. Enough club to get the job done.

tried this shot today...

was under a tree, about 100 yards to the pin, across a small stream. Not much green to work with. Leave it short, you're wet. Yet, the shot required something that checked up, because a runner would be off the green.

Pulled out a PW and hit this shot and got under the tree yet landed and checked within 8 ft of the pin. Tough shot but...the knockdown was the perfect choice....something I need to develop and play more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.