Lack of Lag in the Lass...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear professors and practitioners of advanced golf bio-mechanical applied theories and principles, our family desperately needs help with the upbringing of our younger one, golf wise.:eek:

you see, she has played golf for some time, everyday with a new swing depending on the weather, where nature and nurture clashes on a daily basis, bringing us as much joy as frustration, as much hope as despair.

on today's video, as usual, the lag on the downswing disappeared as early as her stamina. Where did it go? Why the early exit? To lag or not to lag is our question... to make it happen or to let it go...:confused:

please share your thoughts on the formation of the lag, the retention of the lag, and, to stay on topic, how they apply to her specifically.

face view: SwingAcademy.com

DTL: SwingAcademy.com

natep

New
There seems to be a consensus among the best minds here that sustaining the lag is not necessary for good golf.

Reasoning is that you dont have time to accelerate the club to your full potential if you try to do it at the last second.

IMO her swing looks great too.

Last edited:
Not much lag here too. Doesn't mean much to the ball.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/brxuVLnqjiY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/brxuVLnqjiY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

golfdad,

I would get her stance narrower and then do a bunch of back and forth swinging.

This may help her find her timing.

Matt

I do think she is throwing it away a bit too soon. She isn't applying torque to the club long enough which is the reason for my signature.

She is indeed dumping early, but I think part of the solution is to soften the right arm.

The other part I see is a BIG backward bend away from the target and not getting her weight fully shifted. She has just enough flexibility to pull it off but there's some injury down the pike if she keeps it up.

Narrowing her stance will help her with the lack of proper weight shift to the front foot, and I might also prescribe some "pre-set" tilt and weight on her back foot. The reason being, it will promote her getting OFF of it sooner in the forward swing. Pre-setting the tilt would be a "just in case" though as I don't know if it would be necessary. I'd narrow the stance first and see how she does with that.

golfdad, she has a great looking swing and all the post are great suggestions but I will add one more...

I work with more than two dozen high school players and all their swings look slightly different but get it around the course very well. They do however, have one thing in common, they can control their ball from 100 yards and in!

If she came to me (with that swing) I would test her ability to control her ball from the distances mentioned above. Far to many kids (parents alike) are concerned with the look of their swing and how far they hit it (I do think these are important) but can not control the distance they hit from within 100 yards.

Good luck to you guys,

mm

mickey, good thoughts. yes, what you said reflects our attitude as well. on the other hand, i feel that since she is young enough, i would like to provide her with the opportunities to explore better ways to do things. my older one plays on the high school team. from my observation of other players on the team, i feel by then, if you have played "on your own" for many years already, with significant issues lingering still, it can be quite an uphill struggle to redo and reconstruct. it sounds like you are doing wonderful things to your players, but trust me, many so called coaches are not that helpful in terms of knowing what to do (i hope i am not offending anyone,,,anyone who bothers to read this forum should not be offended:) my younger one just turned 10 so i feel it is important for her to learn to keep her standard higher. this is particularly important since she grew quite a bit in the past year, putting her swing and her fundamentals to the test.

frans, you are absolutely right that her hands were set way behind. it goes to show that in a random golf swing how much one can miss in terms of fundamentals and set-ups.

here is my question: for argument sake, since the impact hand position is nothing like the "usual" address position,,,why does it matter where hands are at address?

natep, i think your pic shows a driver set up, so, even with what you are saying with the grip, the hands are or should be behind the ball.

our trouble maker simply did not pay attention:) i think that was not even a long iron, so the hands indeed should be a more forward. but since her lower body has a very significant move toward the ball in the downswing, it almost does not matter where her address position is for her hands. or does it?

still, the take home msg for me and her is that comparing with other things in life, or even violin, there are not too many things that you must do at one time. a little pre-shot routine, a little self check is not too much to ask. haha.

natep

New
My mistake!

I couldnt see the clubhead at address and just assumed it was a driver or wood of some sort.

In my own experience I have found that forward hands can lead to taking the club back too far inside. For myself I prefer "mid-body" hands.

I'm pretty sure that Brian recommends a "lagging clubhead takeaway" in his soft draw pattern. I havent seen it but I remember it being discussed in the forum. You might want to check it out. Her swing looks like a draw pattern to me.

Last edited:
S

SteveT

Her swing is perfectly good, and I don't understand how much more 'lag' she needs in her swing ..!!!!

When her left arm is level in the downswing her clubshaft is at 90º, and beyond that, nobody can effectively hold off shaft release because the inertial torque from the releasing club on the wrists is too large to resist.

This has been calculated by Dr. David Williams in his mathematical analysis of the golfswing in 1967 (I believe).

Sheesh, golfdad ... the girl is still a 'lass' and her body has not yet fully matured into womanhood from what I see. Let her grow up before you try to impose unnatural stresses on her hands and wrists. Maybe by then her interests will change too, and then you got nobody to inherit your golfmania ...;)

Last edited:
thanks steve for your usual astute observation, which actually is my point. should a child swing like an adult? if yes, why? if not, why and how?

S

SteveT

thanks steve for your usual astute observation, which actually is my point. should a child swing like an adult? if yes, why? if not, why and how?

Who can say
Why Today
Tomorrow will be yesterday ?
Who can tell
Why to smell
The violet, recalls the dewy prime
Of youth and buried time ?
The cause is nowhere found in rhyme.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.