Lag without worry of doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian

LAG LAG LAG. Burned out with the word. Isn't lag always there if your throwing? If you pay more attention to a flat left wrist, you would be further ahead then worry about lag "bent right wrist".

Why are so many folks bent about after impact "ball is long gone" whether the left wrist stay's flat or if it bends? Is not some of the longest balls ever hit by both parties as well as accurate?

Vijay Singh, does not keep his right wrist bent after collision, he has won more in a 6 months then most will in a life time.

Bottom line, which has the most potential for all out play. Distance, Power, Accuracy. Easiest to learn, and Yes its take time. Austin style or Manzella style or Another style to be non bias. ;)

Look at the really great ballstrikers tho.

Short irons esp.

Go search for face on pics of: Trevino, Hogan, Nelson........not too sure who else to say but that's a good start I'd say.

I'd like to see some pics of Moe Norman from face-on....with some short irons maybe.....everything I see with him is hitting driver....he's one to study tho too that's for sure.

Vijay's left wrist stays flat....I believe a full roll.....(?)....

Right wrist can do w/e it wants I guess (esp. if you're VJ Singh)....it's not an Imperative.....just flat left.

I think the problem with lag sometimes.....I mean when you're TRYING for it.....is it disrupts the positioning of the body.....mostly Axis Tilt....head moving forward......right shoulder.....etc. You just gotta setup right and watch yourself, that's all....and practice (educate those hands).

The thing is tho.....any player who can hit the ball impressively has at least a vertical shaft at Impact (hopefully forward leaning some).....it's just what ACTUALLY happens....in reality.

And the best ever all do it.....so really you can't bash it.....I mean....you can use w/e feel descriptions you want for yourself I guess.....but there's feel and then there's what really happens, I think.

With practice you'll get to a point where lag is more or less there.....you don't really try for it....you just hit the ball and your hands do nothing and it happens.....

The hands are clamps (when they're trained to be)....and like Mike Finney said...."I just hold on"....

Last edited:
Nick Price stated in a tv lesson he preferred the club shaft/hands to be more in a vertical line at impact & that gave more of a solid hit than if the hands were "way ahead". As a physical principle he felt hands way ahead was almost as much a power leak as "hands well behind".

On the same show, Paul Assinger made this point with regard to chipping and specifically said *some*non professionals tend to make a big thing about keeping the hands way ahead of the clubface & it doesn't work that well on tour.

My personal opinion is ..I don't worry about it because I have my own power sources (I guess you might think of them as "accumulators in TGM lingo)mapped out so every thing is pretty much reactionary from chipping to driver.

I'll add, when the lie is not great or when I don't need a clubface's maximized loft, I move the ball back and hands are more ahead than otherwise. Plus,
I think Price overstated his position. However, hands "way ahead" may indeed be a small power leak compared to "straigh line-ing". I'd like to see some experimental data...

Erik_K

New
Keep in mind that Tour Pros have a lot less to worry about as far as leakage goes.

But, in the real world, if you have a flat left wrist at the top and flat left wrist at the finish, chances are didn't have much throwaway. Granted as you get better and better and learn to feel and sense the lag pressure, finishing with a bent left wrist isn't the end of world as long as you didn't throw it away.

For most struggling golfers they need to overdo things to develop this feel. I promise most have never felt the proper Twistaway and then learning to 'catch the sweetspot' as Brian would say and mash that ball into the turf.

Uncocking

1. Standing up, take a standard grip, left wrist on top of shaft, left wrist paralell to leading edge of clubface.

2. Point the shaft to the center of hips giving you a bent left wrist and flat right wrist, arms straight.

3. Uncock the left wrist so that the shaft is in line with your left arm. Notice the flat left wrist, the clubface is open and that the clubhead is behind your hands.

4. Turn the left wrist as in a horizontal release. Notice the clubface is square.

5. Do a pivot to the left. Notice the structure.

Right from the top of the swing, uncock the wrists on a straight line plane at and through the ball. Turned shoulder plane image is the easiest.

The faster/earlier you attempt to "fire the clubhead" at the ball, the greater the lag pressure "without thinking about it".

It's not the only way to do it. It's just an easy way.

Aye to Baye! As they say in the land of thunder

spike

lag

lmisner1040 said:
Brian

LAG LAG LAG. Burned out with the word. Isn't lag always there if your throwing? If you pay more attention to a flat left wrist, you would be further ahead then worry about lag "bent right wrist".

Why are so many folks bent about after impact "ball is long gone" whether the left wrist stay's flat or if it bends? Is not some of the longest balls ever hit by both parties as well as accurate?

Vijay Singh, does not keep his right wrist bent after collision, he has won more in a 6 months then most will in a life time.

Bottom line, which has the most potential for all out play. Distance, Power, Accuracy. Easiest to learn, and Yes its take time. Austin style or Manzella style or Another style to be non bias. ;)

lmisner1040 Lag is over blown, if you know how to pivot and throw as BM suggests you can have more lag then you will ever need. You sure do not have to think about it.

I stated I don't have to worry about it as it is pretty much automatic. To clarify, that is with a pure swing. With a hitting model, I do monitor things more closely. E.g., wrist/hand pressure points.

joeprunes said:

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure of the TGM term for this (yet). But I think it is like a sweep release. A continuous uncocking from start down through impact point using a horizontal swivel.

The drill may take some work/imagination as words are always second best to hands on. The drill is a way to show the alignments that can take place through a certain type of sequencing. Of course there are pressure points involved also that I really didn't get into.

If you could let me know what part was confusing it may help me to learn to explain it better.

Sorry for any confusion,
spike

I haven't read why HK (apparently) thinks a "sweep release" is a superior method. I certainly don't. Tom Watson's swing could certainly have been better. I've personally seen his ball striking up close and in person. He had one heck of a short game.

No-brainer

lmisner1040 said:
Brian

LAG LAG LAG. Burned out with the word. Isn't lag always there if your throwing? If you pay more attention to a flat left wrist, you would be further ahead then worry about lag "bent right wrist".....

;)

Iron Byron obviously doesn't have to think about lag or a flat left wrist. Anyone know how this is accomplished by the machine and any implications that has for our swings?

hcw

New
strav said:
Iron Byron obviously doesn't have to think about lag or a flat left wrist. Anyone know how this is accomplished by the machine and any implications that has for our swings?

by design...the machine has a "shoulder" and "wrist" that can only move in one manner, but with essentially unlimited range of motion in that manner...it's as if a 10-2-D lead hand could "uncock" back on itself post impact and your lead shoulder could let your lead arm swing w/o moving...humans have to figure out how to make that club motion happen using many more body parts that have the potential to go in many different directions...

-hcw

David Alford said:
I haven't read why HK (apparently) thinks a "sweep release" is a superior method. I certainly don't.
I haven't read where Homer Kelly said a Sweep Release is a superior method (or anything like that), let alone an explanation.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
David Alford said:
Nick Price stated in a tv lesson he preferred the club shaft/hands to be more in a vertical line at impact & that gave more of a solid hit than if the hands were "way ahead". As a physical principle he felt hands way ahead was almost as much a power leak as "hands well behind".

On the same show, Paul Assinger made this point with regard to chipping and specifically said *some*non professionals tend to make a big thing about keeping the hands way ahead of the clubface & it doesn't work that well on tour.

My personal opinion is ..I don't worry about it because I have my own power sources (I guess you might think of them as "accumulators in TGM lingo)mapped out so every thing is pretty much reactionary from chipping to driver.

Maybe, but they ALL still take LEADING EDGE divots which means there hands were still ahead of the ball. Which just basically means the hands are ahead as much as the shaft leans foward when soled correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.