Landing Angle - Spin - Wedge Shots (125-75 yards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What role does the landing angle play regarding spinning the ball off a green that is tilted (say 3%) back to front?

For example, if two wedge shots land on the green at the same spin rate but one hits at a 60* angle and the other at 35* which one will spin off the 3% slope faster (if at all)?

When I deloft my wedges and hit down I can get the wedge to check. When I hit it high it doesn't check nearly as much. I don't know the actual spin of the ball once it hits the green. I wonder if the landing angle gives the ball more time to lose spin before it hits???

Curious about this topic given the shots I've seen at Merion.

Can 2 balls with that much difference in landing angles have the same amount of back spin? The lower trajectory one is probably not spinning off because it has less spin.

I think it depends upon the length of the shot. I also think the spin rates on Tman are initial spin rates and not landing spin rates. I'm trying to figure out the best way to attack a back pin on a severe back to front sloped green (75-125 yard shots).

Do I hit it high and throw it back or take a less lofted club. I've found that when I hit a wedge higher than normal the ball doesn't spin back as much. If I hit a normal shot really solid the ball will spin back. Looking for the why behind my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.