Larry Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little disappointed in the decision to overlook Larry Nelson as Ryder Cup captain for 2014. Not a knock on Tom Watson, who'll be great, but it's not often in life you make a mistake that shattered a man of Nelson's quality and have a golden opportunity to right the wrong. To pass it up is very sad.

They have been overlooking Larry for 20 years, why would he think he would get it now? If your wife left you 20 years ago, would you expect her to come back?

As an aside...Watson was asked once who he'd pick in a must win Ryder Cup match. He said Larry Nelson. Hell I'd give Nlson a shot just for fighting in the infantry in Nam!

Decorated war veteran, PGA Champion twice, one other major, dropped Seve to the canvas in the Ryder Cup, multiple other wins, well-respected and liked across the board, enough experience to fill ten knap-sacks and a Hall of Famer. With that resume he could be the President, the Prime Minister or the bloody Czar of Russia, BUT not the US Ryder Cup captain. Just who did he piss off?

Last edited:
Decorated war veteran, PGA Champion twice, one other major, dropped Seve to the canvas in the Ryder Cup, multiple other wins, well-respected and liked across the board, enough experience to fill ten knap-sacks and a Hall of Famer. With that resume he could be the President, the Prime Minister or the bloody Czar of Russia, BUT not the US Ryder Cup captain. Just who did he piss off?

"I don't care if he's Muhammad Imahd Ali"

The 131 he shot on the weekend at Oakmont in 1983 is so freakin good, you gotta play Oakmont to know just how good. And he picks the game up at 21 after Nam, hello....he said once pressure is not a 4 footer-if you've been in a firefight in the Jungle, and you don't who or where the enemy is...I'd pick him just for saying that!

Last edited:
Somebody on the committee doesn't like him. Simples. Maybe his time in the military made him incompatible with the world of golf committees. Is it any different in any other walk of life? I'm not a big fan of Davis L, but he seems to be the kind of guy whose face really fits.

What a golden opportunity passed up by the PGA of America to show that winning should ALWAYS be a secondary concern to ethics, decency and common human courtesy. I couldn't care less if the US lost 28-0 at the Ryder Cup - it means nothing in the grand scheme of golf, other than to keep an army of tedious talking heads on the Golf Channel mithering on for a couple of months.

Last edited:
Olli, this is a brilliant opportunity for the European team to right a wrong and make Larry their next captain. What duya say? :)

Olli, this is a brilliant opportunity for the European team to right a wrong and make Larry their next captain. What duya say? :)

Sounds like fun..A fifth columnist approach...OK, Larry Nelson for Europe, and I get to captain America...

You're gonna love my captain's picks...

"On the tee, representing the United States of America, Wulsy and Burner...":)

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I heard the PGA didn't want Nelson because he had too much reverse tumble in his swing. My sources aren't too strong though...

It is about money and Larry Nelson does not sell tickets. Even though he won more majors than the last four ryder cup captains and had an unbelievable record in the cup, he is not going to give a good soundbite or do anything that brings people in for tickets. The cup is spectacle, Watson has more star power, especially in Scotland. Nelson was robbed and has been deserving at least since 1995. The Ryder Cup is no longer about winning or recognition, it is about the buck.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Nelson would bring a lot to the competition. His story as a captain would be compelling and would sell plenty of tickets. Besides, he doesn't hit a shot. People go for the matches and the players, not the captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.