Laser for golf club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where I can buy a laser that sticks in the end of a golf grip?? I looked around but didn't see anything. Does anyone else use lasers? If so what do you use?

So putting a laser in the end of the club to check my HSP isn't a good idea?? Could you elaborate? I need something to help me with path because I am having a rough time feeling the right path. Any suggestions?

No even a little bit?

No doubt this has been addressed elsewhere before! Do you think it is a misguided practice to trace a straight line through impact even if that plane line is rotated correctly per D-plane? :eek: I am talking about the sweetspot tracing, of course!

Just a reaction.

It's a long used term, "Paralysis by Analysis". While it's undeniable that learning
the new concepts like "D Plane" are important, what is debatable is how you
go about applying them.

I can see "Trackman", "Flightscope", "3D" as extremely useful because they
give feedback from actual golf swings. The upcoming Trackman linked to Video
should be powerful.

What I can't see is how using things like lasers in the end of a club are actually
helpful. You can move through positions and watch the light move, but how
do you know what it does in a full swing? What if you succeed in transferring
a learned skill of moving the light in an exact fashion, and then discover that
you can't, and shouldn't swing like that? As suggested recently, a 2 x 4 or a
corrugate box might help more, because you can actually use it with a full swing.

I have the same problem with the aiming left or right with an implied precision
of X feet or yards. Not saying you shouldn't try, but how in the world are you
ever going to know that you really aimed there. I would contend that, assuming
no Trackman, you apply the new knowledge, hit the shot, evaluate the result,
and then tweak for the next shot. Even then, you can't be certain which of more
than a few variables actually caused the resulting ball flight.

No doubt this has been addressed elsewhere before! Do you think it is a misguided practice to trace a straight line through impact even if that plane line is rotated correctly per D-plane? :eek: I am talking about the sweetspot tracing, of course!

I understand what you are saying, but for me I would much rather swing parallel to my body line and just adjust my body to account for D-plane rather than adjust my hsp while keeping my body line parallel to the target line. For me adjusting my HSP to my body makes me do weird things like comming over the top (if I am hitting down) and trying to save it by lifting my hands or comming too far under plane. (if I am hitting up)

Just a reaction.

It's a long used term, "Paralysis by Analysis". While it's undeniable that learning
the new concepts like "D Plane" are important, what is debatable is how you
go about applying them.

I can see "Trackman", "Flightscope", "3D" as extremely useful because they
give feedback from actual golf swings. The upcoming Trackman linked to Video
should be powerful.

What I can't see is how using things like lasers in the end of a club are actually
helpful. You can move through positions and watch the light move, but how
do you know what it does in a full swing? What if you succeed in transferring
a learned skill of moving the light in an exact fashion, and then discover that
you can't, and shouldn't swing like that? As suggested recently, a 2 x 4 or a
corrugate box might help more, because you can actually use it with a full swing.

I have the same problem with the aiming left or right with an implied precision
of X feet or yards. Not saying you shouldn't try, but how in the world are you
ever going to know that you really aimed there. I would contend that, assuming
no Trackman, you apply the new knowledge, hit the shot, evaluate the result,
and then tweak for the next shot. Even then, you can't be certain which of more
than a few variables actually caused the resulting ball flight.

Okay... I have used a 2x4 before and it doesn't work for me. What I will do it get everything outside and then save it by lifting my hands and the club will miss the 2x4, but it hasn't helped me at all with adjusting my path. I know what the correct path is now.. and I have some feeling for it, but I want something to help me check to make sure that I don't throw everything outside on the transition. I am not arguing that laser is the best way, I just wants something, anything to help me stop this move. I have been trying to fix this for a long time, and I know with 100% possitivity that it is the number one cause of my swing faults. What other way is there for me to know what I am doing at the transition or get the right feel for keeping everything down my body line?

Okay... I have used a 2x4 before and it doesn't work for me. What I will do it get everything outside and then save it by lifting my hands and the club will miss the 2x4, but it hasn't helped me at all with adjusting my path. I know what the correct path is now.. and I have some feeling for it, but I want something to help me check to make sure that I don't throw everything outside on the transition. I am not arguing that laser is the best way, I just wants something, anything to help me stop this move. I have been trying to fix this for a long time, and I know with 100% possitivity that it is the number one cause of my swing faults. What other way is there for me to know what I am doing at the transition or get the right feel for keeping everything down my body line?

I have been working on the same thing in a mirror with very slow motion movements making sure to initiate the downswing with the proper lower body/hip motion. On the range, I have used half speed swings looking at ball flight and the pump drill with some success.

I use a laser gizmo to remind me of how left "swinging left" really feels. I thought this to be true when I was trying to trace a plane line that was the same as the target line, never mind a plane line rotated to the left! I agree with as to the practical benefits, perhaps it is only worthwhile for illustrative purposes. I get that it has no real bearing on your true swing action.

"What other way is there for me to know what I am doing at the transition or get the right feel for keeping everything down my body line?"

A lesson with an instructor who is up to speed with the subjects discussed on this website.

Posting a slow-mo video on this site for analysis by one or more instructors.

Here is a personal story to illustrate a point. I went to Michael Jacobs for a lesson this year.
I went because I was in New York on business. 2 hour lesson, with no burning issue from my perspective.
He was happy with my pivot, but not with my high VSP and over the top move. He was using Flightscope,
which clearly showed my 6 iron path 6 - 8 degrees outside in. What did we do?

Widened my stance. Had me roll the flying wedge more on the backswing. Got me to stop aiming so far left.
His conclusion at the end was wider stance / aim more right. See the point? It wasn't what I was doing at
transition. It was what was causing me to do it. The root cause thing.

A laser can be used, AS A TRAINING AID, to indicate where the shaft is pointing to monitor, see, and feel the proper "tracing" of the intended Horizontal Swing Plane Line, for ALL golf strokes. Is the horizontal direction of your Impact Plane important? Uh............yeah.
But don't take my word for it. Martin Hall stated last week on the Golf Channel that every golfer should have a plane board and a laser.

Not, Todd, but it taught me that I did not have to have a great deal of independent club face twisting in order to "square" the face.

You could really put a laser on both ends of the club. As for clubface, the Manzella twistaway and lag the sweetspot has ridded me of a chronically open face for good. I finally know how to square the clubface CORRECTLY. The lessons though are kind of not in my near future seeing as I live HOURS away from the nearest Manzella instructor. Also it is winter now, and I don't think I will be going out to the golf course to monitor my ball flight and adjust accordingly. That is why I wanted to monitor my path better. Just wondering... why are most of you against the use of lasers to monitor HSP?

Todd, what about the clubface?

Does tracing your plane line on a plane board with a laser help with clubface control?

No, it doesn't. And obviously, clubface alignment to the plane at impact is very important. But frankly, you really shouldn't need to think too much about the clubface during the swing. Basically, you "set it and forget it" at address. The grip, or more specifically, the angle of the wrists to the plane at address should be positioned FOR YOU to return the clubface to its address alignment. A player may need to spend some time working on consciously reducing clubface rotation on the plane in the backswing and/or increasing rotation on the downswing. But hey, you can't work on EVERYTHING at the same time.

Here I am doing the "Luke Skywalker" drill with my homemade "light saber". This little guy is helpful too, because when you're trying to "sustain the lag", you want to focus on moving the handle, not the clubhead.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5QjyQvb13s[/media]

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You could really put a laser on both ends of the club. As for clubface, the Manzella twistaway and lag the sweetspot has ridded me of a chronically open face for good. I finally know how to square the clubface CORRECTLY. The lessons though are kind of not in my near future seeing as I live HOURS away from the nearest Manzella instructor. Also it is winter now, and I don't think I will be going out to the golf course to monitor my ball flight and adjust accordingly. That is why I wanted to monitor my path better. Just wondering... why are most of you against the use of lasers to monitor HSP?

Perhaps only in the bottom half of the downswing. The butt end works way differently in the top half of the downswing and varies with different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.