Last Round of Q school

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyt

New
With the last round of q school finishing up today, could someone explain the new process to get to the PGA?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It'll all go through the web.com tour.

I noticed there seemed to not be any disasters to miss a card. Players aren't choking like they once did. Impressive.

jimmyt

New
It'll all go through the web.com tour.

I noticed there seemed to not be any disasters to miss a card. Players aren't choking like they once did. Impressive.

So how's it going to work? Top 25 money winners go and that's it? Expand your answer just a bit, if you would.

dbl

New
Next Year's Q school will hand out cards to web.com

Here's some info for next year:
The tour announced in March 2012 that after the end of the 2013 PGA Tour season in September of that year, the 2014 season will begin the following month, and future seasons will begin in October of the previous calendar year. As a result, from 2013 on, the Qualifying Tournament will only award privileges on the Web.com Tour. New PGA Tour cards for the 2014 season and beyond will instead be awarded at the end of a three-tournament series, known as the Web.com Tour Finals, in which the top 75 money winners on the Web.com Tour and the golfers placing between 126 and 200 on the FedEx Cup points list will be eligible. The top 25 on the Web.com Tour money list heading into the Finals will receive PGA Tour cards, with the remaining 25 cards to be awarded based on money earned in the Finals.[1] The Finals money list will determine the priority placing for all 50 card earners in the coming season, including those earning cards through the Web.com money list.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/...s-qualifying-school-gone-after-six-decade-run

So in the future there will be 50 cards handed out, 25 to the big earners on the web.com and 25 to to top the top 25 of the web.com 3-tournament finals described above. There is going to be some modification of entries to regular PGA Tour tournaments, hoping they can squeeze a few more guys into the fields, to accommodate the greater pool of card carriers.

I'm not sure of the path for a youngster coming out of college and wanting to get on the PGA Tour with the 7 or so sponsors invites and earn enough money....I believe that path may be gone now...with the exception that the player winning a PGA Tour tournament would get his 2 year exemption and membership.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.