Launch Monitor says Don't Blame the Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tested the new swing derived from Orlando and from my launch monitor experience today. Shot 36 with two double bogies. Averaged 20 yards off the tee further than ever in my life. This made me happy.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

Tested the new swing derived from Orlando and from my launch monitor experience today. Shot 36 with two double bogies. Averaged 20 yards off the tee further than ever in my life. This made me happy.

This makes me happy too.

quote:Originally posted by Tom Bartlett

quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

This makes me happy too.

You and Brian really helped me on the downswing slide. Obtaining a proper shoulder turn behind the ball with the proper spine angle really puts me in a good position at the top to swing down and out with axis tilt. Since I've changed my approach to launch my tee shots, my trajectory and ball flight are a lot like yours now-- minus 20 mph of swing speed. I carried a couple 275 yds today and still had some roll out.

What also really help on my backswing was Brian's demonstration of a backswing whilst returning the shoulders back to address position. That felt so steep to me before, but now it appears I was too flat to begin with (Thanks Jim, too) Only reason I didn't should 32 was because I was overshooting my approaches over the green. We'll see if this lasts.

Seems to me you have to define "up". The clubhead can move "up" from the ground and "down" away from your body, because of axis tilt.

The only way I know how to define "up" is that I tee the ball really really high, put it off my left foot and tilt my spine away from the target and hit up on the ball. So I define "up" according to the common sense usage of the word. If what I am doing is not hitting up, then I do not possess the ability to hit up-- for that is all that I am trying to do. Now we can all argue whether hitting up is proper, but all I can say is that when I (me, that is) try as hard as I can to hit up, I carry my drives 275 yards, and, if I have the proper hinge action, they roll out considerably.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm not going to get into a lengthy debate so this is what i'm going to say:

1) it feels like you're swinging up because of axis tilt
2) the clubhead MAY BE TRAVELING UP because of the SHAFT KICKING IT UP.
3) as long as your left wrist is flat low point of the swing is the left shoulder. If it is bent it's before the left shoulder and if it's arched your left wrist arch is the lowest point.

--------------

If you truly want to hit up like a long driver you have to tee up the ball outside of your left foot and swing REAAAAALLLLY far to the right so that you catch the ball before it really has not come back "in" too much. That's why those guys have so much axis tilt.

I don't think we disagree- we both agree the clubhead is traveling up. What else would be going up?

When I get a camcorder with a decent shutter speed, I will demonstrate my 250 yard, high spin, low launch swing of pre-Orlando and then my 280 yard, lower spin, HIGH launch swing, post Orlando. My Sony DVD handycam has a horrible shutter speed. What kind of cheap camcorder should I get?

quote:
2) the clubhead MAY BE TRAVELING UP because of the SHAFT KICKING IT UP.
The clubhead is clearly traveling up in the CBS Swingvision's I've seen. It doesn't appear to be because of the shaft kicking it up. How many degrees would it kick? Then it would be the sine of a small angle, times the length of the part that is kicking, right? That seems like it would be very small. It looks to me like the left shoulder is moving up at this point in the swing, due to spine tilt.

quote:
3) as long as your left wrist is flat low point of the swing is the left shoulder. If it is bent it's before the left shoulder and if it's arched your left wrist arch is the lowest point.

What is the low point of the swing? A curve can have a low point, but the swing is a lot more than just a curve. A point on the path the club takes can have a low point, but I don't see how a swing has a low point. Are you saying that what you do with your legs, hips, shoulders, spine doesn't matter, that if you left wrist is flat the sole of the club (most reasonable thing to reach a low point) reaches a low point when the arm is in line with the left shoulder ?

Again, low point relative to what ?

A point on the golfers' body
or
the ground

Clearly, with axis tilt low point for one can be different than low point for the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.