LCT (Lagging Clubhead Takeaway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lagging clubhead takeaway for more power - Video - GOLF.com

Haven't played golf in a year because of tendonosis in the elbows. Going to get back into golf soon and stumbled across this video of Brian and LCT.

What I've noticed with just practice swings without a ball. Wider takeaway (less inside), better tempo, less tension (good for my elbows), faster swingspeed. It's also supposed to help with plane and a more forward swing bottom.

Any downsides and why isn't it used more? Seems like it would work with all clubs. Anyone use it for putting? I would think the less tension aspect would help with putting.

Anyway, going to play this Saturday for the first time in a while and hoping LCT is as real an epiphany as it sounds. Also, how much do you employ in your swing? Seems like it could be anywhere between very subtle and very exaggerated.

For me the first 6 inches of dragging the clubhead along the grass seems like it might work best. Any other thoughts on LCT?

I did find some older threads on LCT, but was wondering who has tried it and how much it's still used.

Last edited:
I used to use it. Not anymore. With the recent research on 3d and kinematic sequencing, getting the club and arms moving sooner and faster in the backswing seems to directly influence a better downswing sequencing.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It turns out that a reason that the LCT worked for many was that—done as prescribed—it got you to STEP on the right foot early, and push off that spot to initiate the downswing.

Great stuff to do...

BUT!

The problem with the LCT is the wrist conditions.

It turns out that a reason that the LCT worked for many was that—done as prescribed—it got you to STEP on the right foot early, and push off that spot to initiate the downswing.

Great stuff to do...

BUT!

The problem with the LCT is the wrist conditions.

What would those wrist conditions be? The only thing I've noticed (practice swings only / no ball) is you need to have no tension in the wrists to start, otherwise you can't lag it back.

Less tension in the hands, wrists, forearms would seem to be a good thing, no?

Used LCT this past Saturday and shot an 82 (Pointe West, Vero Beach FL.). Not bad for not playing golf for a year. Ball striking with irons was great. My normal miss with irons is a pull and didn't pull one iron shot. Hit several irons right where I was aimed. :) Driver was a different story. Most misses were pushed right. But all were solid contact. If driver was kept in the fairway more it could've been a sub 80 round easily.

All in all LCT was a winner. I tended to use a more subtle version. Tempo and as Brian said the stepping on the right foot to begin the takeback allowed for a nice un-hurried transfer to the left seemed to be keys for the success.

Keefer - I have also been using LCT for the past month and have hit some of the most pure and straight iron shots ever. Really compressing the ball and controlling distance. Driver is a different story ...feels like I get it under plane and tend to lose shots right or flip at the last minute and hit a hook. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for using this technique with the driver?

dlam

New
interesting thread.
I stopped using LCT many years ago.
I like the rhythm sequence but I don't think any tour player used this method since Bobby Jones.

I stopped it because of the wrist issues, there is a breaking of the wrist at start up and if the timing isn't right can be flippy for me. Also I developed at lot of pain back of my left hand as the torque was forcing pressure on handle
I think with whippy clubs this is the preferred method .

I find it easier to grip strong and lead with the heel of the shaft rather than the handle now.
I find there's less wear and tear on my hands.

Where is the 'heel of the shaft'?

interesting thread.
I stopped using LCT many years ago.
I like the rhythm sequence but I don't think any tour player used this method since Bobby Jones.

I stopped it because of the wrist issues, there is a breaking of the wrist at start up and if the timing isn't right can be flippy for me. Also I developed at lot of pain back of my left hand as the torque was forcing pressure on handle
I think with whippy clubs this is the preferred method .

I find it easier to grip strong and lead with the heel of the shaft rather than the handle now.
I find there's less wear and tear on my hands.

Rickie Fowler and Jason Dufner are two current players that I have seen using it. To Brian's earlier response this has really helped me with getting on the right foot and feeling my pivot power the swing...you can definitely over do it though.

LCT has really cured the curse of the inside path of backswing, correct lag, better ball flight and seems so much easier to make Impact time after time 👍⛳

Status
Not open for further replies.