Left arm on chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi brian and others,
when i keep my left arm against my chest, i find it a very easy way to swing. however, i seem to pull hook several shots. any thoughts on how i can keep my left arm against my chest, but not hit the ball left? i also feel that my right side is sometimes too high on the downswing.
thanks,
jimmy

Burner

New
Down but not Out

hi brian and others,
when i keep my left arm against my chest, i find it a very easy way to swing. however, i seem to pull hook several shots. any thoughts on how i can keep my left arm against my chest, but not hit the ball left? i also feel that my right side is sometimes too high on the downswing.
thanks,
jimmy

In your down swing try to brush crumbs off your bib with the upper part of your left arm.

You are going left because your right shoulder is coming out from the start of the down swing, whereas you have to brush the crumbs first.

as your right arm straightens, while the left arm remains straight, the PP*4 angle increases as the left arm moves away from the chest. you'll notice that the clubhead travels to the right of where your shoulders are aimed. this is one of the reasons you need open shoulders at impact. if you keep your left arm across your chest longer, minimizing the PP*4 angle, and contnue to rotate your body open through impact the club is likely to travel outside-in through impact resulting in the pull-hooks you are experiencing

In your down swing try to brush crumbs off your bib with the upper part of your left arm.

You are going left because your right shoulder is coming out from the start of the down swing, whereas you have to brush the crumbs first.

Undoing the right elbow bend has the same effect....I find this easier to work with than thinking of the left side, as i am a right-sided player and hit hard with the right side...

I counter the pull tendency with more initial axis tilt...
But that's just me...:D

All I know is your path is too far to the right JD. Probably doesn't help you much.

Are you talking about keeping your left arm across your chest in the downswing...?

Or just maintaining a "connection" from address to some point?

You hitting it low? Taking big divots?

Last edited:

Burner

New
Undoing the right elbow bend has the same effect....I find this easier to work with than thinking of the left side, as i am a right-sided player and hit hard with the right side...

I counter the pull tendency with more initial axis tilt...
But that's just me...:D

PM,
Whichever way we express it, the idea is to start the down before the out, - yeh?

Pecky,

Jimmy's damage is done at start down when the right shoulder, it seems, goes out and off plane before it goes down, thereby taking pp4 out of the equation.

As you observe (I think?), pp4 remains (should remain) intact until it is "blasted off the chest" post low point.

thanks guys,
i feel as if my left arm does not blast off my chest, but rides on my chest to the left. any more thoughts or suggestions?
jimmy

thanks guys,
i feel as if my left arm does not blast off my chest, but rides on my chest to the left. any more thoughts or suggestions?
jimmy

Jimmy,

Try more axis tilt first...see if that helps...it should get your right shoulder going down before it goes out....perhaps a swing thought could be "under and up" (right shoulder)...if you compress the right side as a first move from the top it will make the right shoulder go down...after that just go for your full finish position...

Burner

New
thanks guys,
jimmy

And so it should until you get to low point.

Any attempt to "blast" the left arm off the chest prior to impact is folly in the extreme.

Getting your right shoulder down will help you keep your left arm and pp4 where it should be until nature (pivot) takes its course.

Oh, puttmad has already said that btw - but after me. :D

Getting your right shoulder down will help you keep your left arm and pp4 where it should be until nature (pivot) takes its course.

Oh, puttmad has already said that btw - but after me. :D
#

LOL..:)

Actually Burner, pp4 won't move until the right elbow is released, or allowed to release, depending on what you activate during the downswing...

But you said that already....:D:D:D

Burner

New
Deja vu

#

LOL..:)

Actually Burner, pp4 won't move until the right elbow is released, or allowed to release, depending on what you activate during the downswing...

But you said that already....:D:D:D

PM,

You are running the risk of repeating myself. :confused:

Walt

New
I think I know what you guys are saying. I was watching one of Brian's videos the other day were he said it is like skipping a rock to get that right side bend in the dowswing. It really helped me to stop moving forward and throwing my right shoulder out from the top. I loved to skip rocks as a kid so it feels very natural for me. If I get the gist of all the suggestions and the problem then that might help? If I am completely misunderstanding then please ignore this post.

The stone skipping image/feel is a good one. And for sure relates to Axis Tilt. Not sure what you may be asking otherwise Walt.

Status
Not open for further replies.