Left Foot Push vs. Right Foot Step

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Brian has described the proper usage of ground forces on the backswing as a slight push from the left foot to a step on the right. I've had great success using a slight forward press or step on the left foot, but every time I make a conscientous effort to step on the right I pull shots 20 yards left of my intended target.

I know this is caused by the clubface orientation at impact, but I'm at a loss for why stepping on the right would seemingly set a chain of events in place that don't occur when I only push/step on the left.

Any help would be appreciated.

Find nice reflective shiny window. Face it at address and find a reference point for the top center of your head, or button on your golf shirt. Make a pivot using method 1 and note how much your reference point moves to the right (righthanded golfer). Do it with method 2, the step on right foot method. Bet you will find an excessive amount of movement. Just a guess.

Werd. I think you're probably right - but it doesn't "feel" any different. Do you know of any keys to successfully "step" on the right while minimizing sway/movement.

Thanks for the response.

A very, very old drill is to take a golf ball and place it under the outside of your
rear foot to essentially shim up your golf shoe. The idea is to give you the feel
of loading into your rear leg as the leg is stabilized by the ball under your foot.

You can also hammer a shaft into the ground just outside your rear leg. This also
prevents movement away from the target. Of course, you can still let your upper
body move backwards away from the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.