Left Heel Up at Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

natep

New
Last weekend I had the opportunity to go to Colorado for the Sunday round of the women's US Open. I got to watch almost every group, and spent a couple of hours watching on the range. One thing that stood out to me was that many of these women "jump" off the left foot, so that the left heel is airborne at impact, and they are on the balls of their feet as they hit the ball. This is most noticeable with the driver, and happens to a lesser degree with the shorter clubs. Is this a standard practice? Is it mainly women that do this, or do male golf pros do this as well? Thoughts? :confused:

natep

New
Yeah, I know Bubba does it, but I kinda feel like he's the exception and not the rule. These girls weren't swinging hard at all, and even on 130 yard shots on the range their left heel would bounce up and down real quick as they hit the ball. I just thought it was kind of odd, I've never seen anyone do it before like that, let alone several professionals doing it. Their weight is apparently on the balls of their feet at impact, maybe its related to their ballfight? Everyone I saw that day worked the ball right to left. Funny you mentioned Tiger, the first thing I thought of when I saw these women swings' was this video, where he slides his left foot back through impact.

So is it fairly standard to have the weight on the balls of the feet at impact?

Last edited:
natep - John Jacobs thought this was a "women's issue". He reckoned that most women don't have the strength to hold their lag until late in the downswing, that they need to release their angles earlier and consequently get up on their toes to make room for a wider clubhead arc into impact.

natep

New
natep - John Jacobs thought this was a "women's issue". He reckoned that most women don't have the strength to hold their lag until late in the downswing, that they need to release their angles earlier and consequently get up on their toes to make room for a wider clubhead arc into impact.

Interesting. Thanks!

There would certainly be some differences when it would come to play by men or by women. Their way of playing the games would be different, But I would say that the basic rules would remain the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.