Left heel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on more coil by keeping my left heel down on backswing and if anything rolling onto the instep a little. A few of the pro's I play with claim it doesn't matter that much but I swear I have gained 20 yards with driver and my swing is spot on balance with nice finish. No tendency to sway when left heel is down.
I would like opinions from others who may have converted or who find great differences keeping the left heel down.
Even Jack keeps his down now, I followed him for 2 rounds in May and
he keeps it down and drives the ball 285-290 with a draw.

DDL

New
Speaking of left heels, is stomping on the left heel, or applying significant foot pressure to the left heel, what starts the downstroke? All the emphasis on the right arm, right shoulder thrust assumes a perfectly responsive , automatic pivot.

What if one is like myself, and my pivot, zone one, still needs training? Should it feel like I am pulling/thrusting the loaded lag into my left heel, how others have described hitting into a firm left side?

Sounds like your experience of leaving the left heel planted is what Homer described as swinging from the feet.
Thx

Mathew

Banned
Foot action is caused by Knee action. The knees move to facilitate the correct movement of your hips....

EdZ

New
A chicken/egg question - but the 'feel' is in the hands and the feet.

The key reason to lift the heel is to a) get the lead shoulder behind the ball and b) to help ensure proper sequence/lag pressure, from the ground up on the downswing

If you can do both, then yes, keeping the heel down can be good - but IMO 90%+ of golfers can't and should 'let' the foot come up, even to the point of exaggeration at first. Get the lead shoulder behind the ball!

quote:Originally posted by DDL

Speaking of left heels, is stomping on the left heel, or applying significant foot pressure to the left heel, what starts the downstroke?

A thought that was relayed to me once was to think of counter-clockwise 'screwing' the left heel into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.