Left Shoulder - Forward Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Brian and Happy New Year

I have noticed in many good players swings that the 1st motion of the left shoulder in the forward swing is 'down and forward' instead of immediately moving upwards. Sergio G definitely comes to mind and I believe Hogan did this also. Latest sequence of Sergio in GD shows him with his LS still lower than his RS when is left arm has reached a point past parallel with the ground in the forward swing.

A sequence of Michael Campbell a while back, showed him with his LS going almost immediately higher than his RS as the forward swing began.

Any comments as to the advantages / disadvantages of the above.

Thanks - Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You bet.

Great question!

Bobby Clampett and Mike finney also come to mind. The ole Itallian Stallion has a touch of it as well.

To me, it is two things:

1. The counter fall

2. "A" way, to snap release easier.
Advantages vs. Disadvantages?

As long as you don't get to binched up and can still get your right shoulder going down plane....

"The ball has no idea."

Having said that, I wouldn't teach it to just anyone. ;)

The Counter Fall

Brian - thanks for the reply.

Are you using the Counter Fall in the same context as David Lee (Gravity Golf), where the weight during transition falls back toward the left heel?

If so, how does the Counter Fall relate to the "hip slide" needed to achieve the 2nd axis tilt?

Would this be the proper sequence to begin the transition / forward swing?

Counter Fall to Left Heel (this creates the 'sit down') - If there was a wall an inch or so behind our cheeks at address, the backswing would put the right cheek on the wall. The Counter Fall would put the left cheek on the wall, while the right cheek stays on the wall (hips now square to the plane line) and weight centered.

Then hips would have some amount of forward slide (parallel to the plane line), creating the 2nd axis tilt and moving weight towards the left. Then hips would rotate (I try to turn my belly button) as you move thru impact.

Thanks - Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.