Left Shoulder on Backswing (new epiphany)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had pretty good success employing a little LCT move on my backswing. But, I've been trying to figure out why it seems to work. The last couple of rounds I took out the LCT and just made sure my left shoulder turned more down (steeper) than around (flat).

Bingo. Great contact with a nice high straight ball flight. With LCT I could hit a massive fatty once in awhile. Maybe I was getting a little too loosey goosey with my swing.

This latest epiphany with a steeper shoulder turn seems to produce similar good ball striking with the miss-hit now being a thin shot.

I checked out some of the Pro's swings and it seems many employ a more vertical shoulder turn in the backswing with an even more vertical (shoulder turn) downswing.

Simple swing thought now is to just get the left shoulder more down in the backswing instead of around. The downswing is automatic and I assume I'm even more vertical than the backswing. But without video it's only a guess.

I may have known about this before, but with 13 months away from the game I'm happy with this re-discovery.

Last edited:
I have been working on this very move. Thank you for the information which makes me feel better because it lets me know I might be on the right track.

Shoulders Turing at 90* to spine angle during BS and DS is a good idea...looks like you are on to it.

Last edited:
Turn to page 64 of the December 2013 issue of Golf Magazine.

Under the title of "Hit Better Irons" / Bend Your way To Better Contact" Brian Manzella says to point the left side of your torso at the ground when you reach the top. Then point your right side of your torso at the ground as you swing through impact.

As he says this is "my secret to staying in your posture so you catch every shot solid."

Now I know I'm on to something and he is absolutely correct. My left shoulder down on the back-swing key is the same thing. It feels steep, but it really isn't. When you raise your left shoulder up in the down-swing it is replaced with your right shoulder and this keeps the path coming from the inside and more shallow than you may realize.

It may feel like you're going to slam into the ground and hit it fat, when in actuality you'll hit it more solid with a more shallow inside attack and a more forward swing bottom.

I knew there was something to this and seeing his article just validates my theory. It's amazing how one seemingly small thing can have such drastic results.

Also, he doesn't mention this, but make sure your head doesn't turn / tilt too much to the left on the backswing. This could cause a steep downswing. If you look at Brian's head it is turned to the right on the backswing and stays down on the downswing. His right shoulder comes down under his chin for an inside approach, so to keep it from getting too steep.

Feel like you're left eye dominant and keep that thought thoughout the swing.

If you struggle with your irons this may be the best tip you could put into your swing without getting too complex.

Those of you struggling with inconsistent contact and fat iron shots pick up a copy of Golf Magazine (Dec. page 64) and enjoy the result of this tip from Manzella.

Love it.......

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Science behind it is the KWON-COMO Ground Reaction Forces concept.

If you step on your right foot, and push up toward your right ear, you WILL LOSE practically all of your forward bend, and THAT will orient your body in such a way that will put your left shoulder where it should be.

You shouldn't just arbitrarily move your left shoulder down without pushing up from the ground correctly.

You could turn early and spoil the whole shebang.

Left shoulder rising can result from early extension (losing the tush line). Yesterday I saw this video and thought it was excellent:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8UnNxspz05Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.