left thumb position

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlam

New
I going crazy trying to figure out the proper left thumb position.
I have a bad habit of shorting the left thumb so much so that I have a hard time hinging my wrist upwards.
If I stop playing the habit stops.

I notice a few pros have torned their ligaments around the left thumb requiring surgery ..namely A Kim and P Creamer so that left thumb must be extremely important.

My friend has those rocker bottom thumbs is an excellent golfer, the base of the thumb print is on the shaft and I think that that's best position. i have long skinny thumbs. what do you think?

ej20

New
Not everyones hands are alike so grips will as individual as finger prints.I think you need to experiment with the left thumb position to find the one that works best.

Hogan had the left side of his thumb on top of the grip.I have it more to the right.I have tried Hogan's thumb position and it doesn't work for me.

The grip is an awfully tough thing to get right.I remember Sergio Garcia fiddling with his grip something like 20 seconds before he pulled the trigger.The problem is the grip that works best is often the one that doesn't feel totally comfortable sometimes.

S

SteveT

Don't let the left thumb become the Fulcrum at the top of the swing and absorbing all the momentum on the club at Reversal ... it's unnecessary from a biomechanical pov.

Let the right hand form the Fulcrum at the top Reversal and in that way the stress comes off the left thumb. The right hand is in a better position to form the Fulcrum and it can take the stresses easily too.

Don't let the left thumb become the Fulcrum at the top of the swing and absorbing all the momentum on the club at Reversal ... it's unnecessary from a biomechanical pov.

Let the right hand form the Fulcrum at the top Reversal and in that way the stress comes off the left thumb. The right hand is in a better position to form the Fulcrum and it can take the stresses easily too.

Would a good way to achieve this be to weaken the right hand grip?

dlam

New
Thanks Steve,
I am starting to support my club with my left thumb at the top.....which works fine if my thumb is long and more align at the middle of the shaft. which I have experimenting with...... but when my left thumb is on the aft side and shorter then it's disaster....I prefer to carry weight of the club at the top of the swing by the right index knuckle. Didnt realize that until your post.

ej20

New
How about we just take the left thumb off the club entirely?Any good player in the history of the game do this?

ej20

New
I wonder why so few good players do this if it is so "biomechanically" better?How about we all try this for a few sessions and a few rounds and report the results?

Maybe we can get together and develop a new swing called the "thumbless swing" and kick SnT off the charts.LOL

S

SteveT

Thumb-less Golf Grip Method (TGGM) ... :eek:

Don't be a thumb-sucker golfer!!!! ... Wrap them thumbs around the handle and squeeze it and just feeel the Power Flow ...!!!!

Thumb-less Golfer Hits Ball 300 Yards ...!!!!!

footwedge

Thumb-less Golf Grip Method (TGGM) ... :eek:

Don't be a thumb-sucker golfer!!!! ... Wrap them thumbs around the handle and squeeze it and just feeel the Power Flow ...!!!!

Thumb-less Golfer Hits Ball 300 Yards ...!!!!!

Horton, that's the marketing part, do the science part.

Status
Not open for further replies.