Left thumb slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend thave a problem with my left thumb slipping off the clubprior to impact, I am right handed. The thumb tends to slip off towards the left side(target side) of the grip or towards 11 O'clock if looking down on grip. Could it be that my grip is on the strong side but that I put my thumb more on top of the grip than I should. I know I tried putting my thumb at about 1 or 2 O' clock with the driver and started hitting some really solid drives but with my irons hit everything left. Could there be another reason my left thumb is sliiping off the club?

Last edited:
Old grips?

I occasionally pick up a wedge for a friend in my group. I have more than a few times been amazed at how old and slick the grips have been. If you play even one a week, then changing grips at least once a year is good advice. The slicker they are the tighter you have to squeeze.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sounds like you don't have the right hand grip on properly; the left thumb should nestle up inside the right thumb line of the right hand and this shouldn't be an issue.

underplane?

I had a similar problem. Nothing wrong with my grips or much with my grip. But in my case it was caused by being so underplane in the backswing that I was manipulating the club with my left thumb and in doing so it was slipping off to the point were I had a serious callous on the side of the thumb. Just a thought.

Sounds like you don't have the right hand grip on properly; the left thumb should nestle up inside the right thumb line of the right hand and this shouldn't be an issue.

That could be a possibility, as when I view my swing in slow motion,my right hand is not firmly on the club, and actually looks like it slips down the grip. My grips are brand new. I will try tomorrow to fix my right hand grip and let you know if it helps.

What I was thinking, the left thumb should be in the groove between the muscular pads of the right hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.