length of compression vs. direction of launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All.

In one of Brian's episodes he talks about the club face being open at initial impact with the ball then closing to square when the ball leaves the face for a straight ball flight.

I have two questions regarding this idea.

First scenario:
Two identical swings except for one variable, club head speed. Assume a swing with club head speed of 90mph and a perfectly straight ball flight. If the next swing had the exact same conditions of the first (identical face alignment at initial impact, plane, rate of decent, etc, etc) but was 20mph slower. Would the second swing place the ball more the right of the first?

I think it would. Only because with less club head speed the ball will compress less, leaving the club less time to square before the ball leaves ending with the club face being slightly open post impact?

Second scenario:
Like the first assume everything the same but one variable. Ball Temperature. With everything the same between two swings I think the ball at a lower temp would launch more right of the first. Just because compression doesn't last as long with a lower temp ball.

Let me know what you guys think. This does have some practical winter golf applications.

-Jeremy

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Latest data.

Turns out the clubface isn't very open for absolutely straightway ball flight.

I'll be spending some time on TRACKMAN soon, and I'll report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.