Leo Diegel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story goes that Leo Diegel, multiple PGA Championship winner and World Golf Hall of Fame member, made a lot of money gambling with people. The bet was that he could not put his left foot on the ground during the swing or it would cost him a shot. He began the practice after dislocating his left hip in a car accident. At an exhibition match at Detroit Golf Club, Leo set the course record of 66 on one leg.

Obviously, Leo was an extraordinary athlete and a world-class golfer.

The question is, is there anything we can glean from Leo's uncanny ability to play golf shots on the ground (with great power and accuracy) without the benefit of any weight shifting to the left?

I have my own theories but I sure hope it has something to do with his ability to have an upward moving coupling point...

footwedge

The story goes that Leo Diegel, multiple PGA Championship winner and World Golf Hall of Fame member, made a lot of money gambling with people. The bet was that he could not put his left foot on the ground during the swing or it would cost him a shot. He began the practice after dislocating his left hip in a car accident. At an exhibition match at Detroit Golf Club, Leo set the course record of 66 on one leg.

Obviously, Leo was an extraordinary athlete and a world-class golfer.

The question is, is there anything we can glean from Leo's uncanny ability to play golf shots on the ground (with great power and accuracy) without the benefit of any weight shifting to the left?

I have my own theories but I sure hope it has something to do with his ability to have an upward moving coupling point...

It tells me how important handpath is and the proper release is. You can do a lot if you got those right.

I watched a video about the history of golf the other day and it had swings of all the old greats and the one thing that stuck out to me was nobody drug the handle.

Diegel was more known for his elbows-out putting style that became known as "Diegeling". There are several great Hagen/Diegel stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.