Let the ball get in the way? Or hit a point on the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To what extent do you just make a swing and pretend the ball is not there, or let the ball get in the way? Versus aiming the first groove or leading edge just under the equator of the ball as a point of aim and swinging through the ball?

I'm experimenting with both using SD pattern. I make more consistent contact aiming at a point on the ball, but I hit it a little further and straighter when I flush is just letting the ball get in the way.

What do you guys do?

lia41985

Whatever helps you in getting the ball to behave. It doesn't have to be an or--you can combine the two ideas: "I'm going to focus on hitting the ball at this spot and get the club moving through the ball with the club moving through the ball in such and such a fashion."

Thanks lia. I'm still struggling with this as well as where my eyes should be focused on the ball. I've done a search on the site without any real concreate find. Should it just be a blur. Or focused on the back, or inside, or where I want my leading edge to make contact etc? Also, I would like to hear more opinions on if the other members just try and make a good swing with the ball in the right position, just before low point, and let the ball get in the way... Or, do you swing at the ball and through the ball and try and get the club to hit a certain point on the ball. Thanks for the help.

Drive the clubhead through the center of the ball. The way you would drive a nail through the center of the ball with a hammer, without bending the nail. Different clubs/shot shapes require different attack angles/nail angles. The clubhead is the hammer head. You don't look at the hammer when banging nails. You don't look at the clubhead, either. Instead, you can feel them. And the weight you feel in your hand is the sweetspot.

Brian, with your gaze, would you say you are just letting the ball get in the way as you focus on making a good, in tempo, etc swing. Or, with your gaze are you actively trying to hit the ball. As in with irons hitting them slightly down, driver slightly up. But either up or down, are you still focused on impact or contact or is it just more letting the ball get in the way of the swing?

My response to students (as well as what I practised myself) back many years ago when I was teaching:
I was aware of the ball (in my field of vision), but I did not "look" at it ( make it the focus of my attention). What I focused on was "seeing" and the shot and "feeling" the motion to make it happen.

Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator
My response to students (as well as what I practised myself) back many years ago when I was teaching:
I was aware of the ball (in my field of vision), but I did not "look" at it ( make it the focus of my attention). What I focused on was "seeing" and the shot and "feeling" the motion to make it happen.

Bruce

Thanks ole Buddy!

And that folks, is that.

Bruce

Thanks for that clarification. I understood gaze (as defined in the dictionary) to be a steady or hard look at the ball.

Right, I "gaze", too. I'm aware of where the ball is in space. And I try to swing the "weight on the end of the stick" right through the center of that space. I'm actually actively releasing/unhinging the clubhead as quickly and forcefully as I can, since I tend to "over-lag". I'm letting ball position dictate Attack Angle. A couple epiphanies for me lately:

1. I can actually feel where the clubhead is better when I feel like I am always hinging the shaft at the wrists, both back and through. Even in the short game, I am letting my "hand swing" resond to my wrist hinge, rather than the other way around. I'll be darned if my hands don't just "keep going" when I do this.

2. You don't have to look at the clubhead much. Set its alignment once at set-up, and then forget it. Your release should return it to the same alignment at impact. Most importantly, feel it.....and deliver it.........down the chosen plane line.....like you mean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.