Let's roll the rock baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread and I even think Brian commented on it during a Youtube about hovering your driver just before you start the swing.

Well, what about doing it right before you hit a putt? Does anyone do this? Didn't Jack Nicklaus do this?

I've been doing it for a couple of years now and am comfortable in my routine but wonder if it's optimal. What do you think the advantages and disadvantages of this technique?

I find floating any club off the ground to be weird. It can make me uncomfortable playing out of hazards on certain shots. Esp. now that I use a lagging clubhead takeaway. (non-putting) You can't use the ground if you are floating the clubhead.

I will revisit it though..............and practice it. (i.e. for hazards and bunker play)

seriously that's what i do to calm myself when i putt. I just say lalallalaalalharvey.
I grew up in Saudi arabia, that's what they say to me all the time.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
There was a thread and I even think Brian commented on it during a Youtube about hovering your driver just before you start the swing.

Well, what about doing it right before you hit a putt? Does anyone do this? Didn't Jack Nicklaus do this?

I've been doing it for a couple of years now and am comfortable in my routine but wonder if it's optimal. What do you think the advantages and disadvantages of this technique?

Don Pooley. Great putter

Recent studies have shown that you shouldn't ground the putter in the same way you would ground an iron or a driver. Most of the weight of the putter should be "up." I do this, my putter is touching the ground, but just barely. It's something that I just naturally do.

Kevin pointed out Don Pooley used to hover the putter head above the ground. It's not a bad idea since you supposedly want to make sure that the putter head isn't grounded.

3JACK

ggsjpc

New
Nicklaus said he did for the sole reason of preventing a penalty stroke. Many of the best putters will tap the putter on the ground gently to get the putter off the ground so they can start their stroke.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ah....maybe not.

To get the best possible roll, you want about 5° of RISE in your putter at impact.

Much easier to do that from "soled at address."

Status
Not open for further replies.