LIVE From European Teaching Conference Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

Jim, which putt stroke is that you can do?

Ted uses a Paw stroke with rocking shoulders and does go straight back- straight through. What do you think he does?

Ted put on quite a display of putting in Canton, on the practice gree and on the course.

Do you mean what putt stroke do i use? I think that is what you're asking me right? If not please re-phrase. Anyway i'll answer that. I don't know the "TGM" components or wording for how i putt, however it is exactly the same stroke that Tiger Woods uses

- stance parallel to my plane line
- arc stroke
- in/square/in
- trace a straight plane line

-----------------

I never said that style that Ted uses doesn't work. I can do it, i just feel that the in/square/in stroke with a stance that is square to the plane line is more effective to me and to those i give putting lessons too. Just my preference, HOWEVER i don't limit that preference which is what *i think* makes a good teacher. I find what works best for EACH particular student. One person i gave a putting lesson to couldn't use the inside/square/inside stroke. I set him up like how Ted putts and he is putting better than ever!

Also, ask brian. I'm an EXTREMELY good putter. I'd love to challenge Ted to a putting duel, EN GUARD! ;)

quote:Originally posted by FOUR BARRELS AUSTRALIAN

He nows all about Dr Schemmp and the boys club the top 100 teachers really is.

Haha.

I like that.

The boys club.

"The good old boys."

That's the best description I've ever heard.

-Paul

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian,

I am interested in whether you would be more interested in a teach-off with Geoff and you and Lynn, or are you more interested in getting the best possible results and information to as many students/people as possible?
I would bet the latter...

Having said that, I think that with 25 years teaching experience for you compared with a few years teaching experience for Geoff, you should win a teach-off. But...did Homer teach? At what point in his g.o.l.f.ing odyssey did he begin teaching? How was he as a teacher compared to his research and analytical abilities? I see Geoff more as the guy as having compiled the most complete research EVER into every aspect of putting, similarly to Homer. He would love to meet with you, or any great teacher to learn about teaching, or any great player to understand what makes them a great putter. He would relish that chance. Would he back down from a teach-off? No.

One of his forum ideas recently was to create what he called a collaborative community. The idea being to get the people with the best and most useful ideas and knowledge, test em, and then get it out there to as many people as possible. It is not just TGM and BM that run up against the politics of the golf industry.

On another note...6B,

Geoff does not try to be demeaning, but like anyone who totally, wholeheartedly believes in their ideas, sometimes the expression of those ideas rub people the wrong way.

You said he minimised TGM, THEN, in the next sentence said that TGM was not meant as a putt only book? Then that Homer knew a thing or two about right arm...ok

Is being long winded(and I agree with you 100%) at times better than being incomplete, or vague, or wrong? Personally I like Geoff's long winded replies and articles sometimes as I get the answer, and then I get it reinforced strongly -the student in me! I also love Brian's very precise-to-the-point stuff because it allows the teacher in me to examine, and improvise to my students. I also enjoy Brian's, and Geoff's levels of conviction which leave little room for doubt.

Cheers guys!

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

I'm an EXTREMELY good putter. I'd love to challenge Ted to a putting duel, EN GUARD! ;)

I didn't understand what you wrote. I thought you said you putted sb-st which is what Ted does.

A contest would prove nothing. Fun yes, and bragging rights for you if you won. But Ted couldn't 'brag' he beat you, could he?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
No i putt using an arc stroke.

I just think the contest would be fun because it would show that there are many ways to "get things done." Whether you use the arc stroke or the sbst stroke.

quote:Originally posted by nevermind

Bold by me

Originally posted by birdie_man

I was picking on what I thought were some incomplete statements and opinions by Mr. Mangum.
Exactly what Geoff was doing in relation to Homers putting section.

The thing is that it is a more technical book than most (and that is FOR A PURPOSE)...and second- Homer didn't want the book to turn into a dictionary-sized monster.
So if he left something out for simplicity sakes nobody is allowed to point it out? It's not Ok with you if someone points out an incomplete section of TGM and goes on to describe their opinion, completely?

I would have basically been ok with the rest of it (him actually expressing his swing mechanics opinions.....putting mechanics opinons- whatever) if he didn't come out and lay down "in stone" that TGM wasn't well-written....

Maybe it's just too technical for the amount of time he wants to put into it? That's a possible reason, right? And I mean, if it isn't that complete of a putting book, which Geoff thinks (definately a justified opinion) then why would he want to spend time reading TGM?

I know I may be biased but, in my opinion, what he's saying here is like me saying Picasso's work is dull. AND I'm not even an art fan, BTW...

...or.....it could be like saying Boeing's airplane manuals are too technical (but I know they were written that way for a reason- and anyone who wants to reach that level of expertise with working on airplanes should prolly study them...).

Dunno, it just bugged me. I hope I'm not making a big deal out of nothing.....I had to say somethin tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.