Live From European Teaching Confrence Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Okay,

here is a breif summary a each of the four instructors and what the taught there three students during the live teaching day. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THEY TAUGHT INDOORS OFF A MAT[to hide the throwaway] and into a simulator. All of the coaches when asked would always teach a full swing first and chipping last, so there was no chip, pitch, punch, swing cant bake a cup cake cant bake a cake progression, it was full swing off a tee.

DENNIS PUGH:

Taught plents off cocking and uncocking off accumulator 2, but had no regard for flat left wrist, so all of his students and innconsistent results. His understanding of the power package was good however educated hands were lacking. He did however work a little on pivot with a students hip turn and hip action components to establish a better impact an open stance might have helped him fix this quicker.

He said the Golfing Machine was too compicated and unecessary for his teaching although he said he has read it.

SCOTT CRANFIELD:
The Anthony Robbins of teaching!

Posture with a straight spine and straight neck were his mantra with all of his students and the rotation of the body and work of the pivot were very important to him. He said the correct pivot would produce balance in the swing. So it was pivot controlled hand proceedure. He had no clue that ´faulty hands could nulify it all and never be suspected.´

RANDY SMITH:
He understood and taught the alignments of a flat left wrist and bent right wrist at impact. I dont think he really knew quite how the were maintained, but at least he knew about them, which says more for him than the other guys. He also understood low point after the ball and he was big on the right forearm takeaway. He told jokes and relaxed the students with his good bedside manner. He thought clubfiting was important to compliment teaching. He didnt teach them much but in amongst the Texas jokes what he said was good stuff. I would say he teaches with about 10 of the 24 components.

HANK HANEY:
Brian would really say this guy teaches in slow motion. The same old standard stuff right forearm pick up club in front of the body used by arm rotation and a manual sweep release. I think every lesson is the same, good think Tiger Woods allreay had some physics because Haney dosent talk about the pivot much. His zones work like this zone 2 first zone 1 second and zone 3 third. He also believs the low point or flat spot is on the ball not after the ball. I suppose you cant ruin many people with his teaching but you cant teach them much either. One mor thing, he had a student that had a drive loaded hitting action and he taught him the same stuff as if his was a swinger so he obviously dosent get the difference between hitting and swinging and must sometimes experience students would have switting or hiinging.

My Grades [based on Ben Doyles grading system of giving them a D for just turning up]

DENNIS PUGH C-
HANK HANEY D +
SCOTT CRANFIELD C+
RANDY SMITH B-

More from Day 3 tomorrow,

speakers include Fanny Sunesson, Beverly Lewis, Dr Stephan Sievers, Dr Frank Thomas.

STL.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by FOUR BARRELS AUSTRALIAN

Okay,

SCOTT CRANFIELD:

Posture with a straight spine and straight neck were his mantra with all of his students and the rotation of the body and work of the pivot were very important to him. He said the correct pivot would produce balance in the swing. So it was pivot controlled hand proceedure. He had no clue that ´faulty hands could nulify it all and never be suspected.´

S

SPOT ON. You should see him swing the club[:eek:)]. He is quite a tall guy and slaps it about 220 off the tee. A real BS baffles brains exponent that has based his style on "Grin and get Rich" Antony Robbins type self help books and high pressure double glazing salesmanship . A joke and a fraud. His slogan on his website http://www.cga-golf.com/ is "Better golf better life " :D

This is from his website

"Like most young professionals my original ambition when I started my career in 1985 was to become the world's number one player. After four years of dedicated trial and error I was probably much closer to being the world's most knowledgeable golfer - and perhaps the most frustrated. However, these research years proved invaluable for my now chosen and cherished career of coaching others."

220 yards off the tee and he wanted to be the world's No1:DIt took Homer Kelley 28 years to figure things out but Cranfield did it in 4 by trial and error.:D

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by FOUR BARRELS AUSTRALIAN

Okay,

DENNIS PUGH:

Taught plents off cocking and uncocking off accumulator 2, but had no regard for flat left wrist, so all of his students and innconsistent results. His understanding of the power package was good however educated hands were lacking. He did however work a little on pivot with a students hip turn and hip action components to establish a better impact an open stance might have helped him fix this quicker.

He said the Golfing Machine was too compicated and unecessary for his teaching although he said he has read it.

I spoke to Ben Doyle about Pugh at Canton. Ben said a few years ago that Denis wanted to meet up with him. It never happened. I learned more from the half hour in the bunker with Ben than the countless hours of lessons I had with Pugh. I had downswing issues and Pugh had no idea how to fix them. Ted Fort was on it straight away and Ben taught me the correct leg and hip action.Vickie Lake said that my right leg was longer than my left one and I think this set me up for weird hip movements.. I have had a look at my swing since Canton and it looks SO MUCH BETTER. I still have a lot of work to do but it has improved a lot. Denis once told me that he was

" The most knowledgeable man in golf instruction":D

"He said the Golfing Machine was too compicated and unecessary for his teaching although he said he has read it.":D

Something is not right here. Having experience both styles of teaching I am well placed to make a judgement. No question The Machine is where it is at. Pugh confused me . The fog was lifted at Canton. I almost gave up golf after lessons with Pugh. However I think he is a far better coach than Cranfield.

Double Glazing Salesmanship .. lol you not wrong there.
Fanny Sunneson. Get ready for the early wrist set stuff , and the rest follows lol .
Beverly Lewis.. can't wait to hear the report on this one.
Very interesting, thanks Four Barrels, and your right about the mats.

bray

New
FourBarrels,

Thanks for your reports from the European Teaching Conference.
I look forward to more tomorrow.

By the way did Haney give any hints to his work with Tiger??

Sorting through the Duffer's Bible!

B-Ray

quote:Originally posted by hue
"Like most young professionals my original ambition when I started my career in 1985 was to become the world's number one player. After four years of dedicated trial and error I was probably much closer to being the world's most knowledgeable golfer - and perhaps the most frustrated. However, these research years proved invaluable for my now chosen and cherished career of coaching others."

After hearing that quote I'm really glad that I have come across TGM.

I still am into trial and error though...

BTW I wonder how much of the 4 years worth of knowledge he gained was really that useful.....if it wasn't making him a good player then I HAVE TO question that...

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Bray, not hints Haney has become a media figure like all the other top known coaches and has mastered the political art of saying nothing with a lot of words.

He did say not to listen to Johnny Miller as he knows nothing about Tiger Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.