Long Par 3's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much has been discussed about the benefits of hitting up on a driver, but very little has been made about hitting up on irons or hybrids. The reason being, most irons and hybrids are hit off the ground, therefore they must be hit with a descending blow. Par three's, however are a different story. Any ball that is teed up can be hit on the way up and it may be an easier way for some players to hit a high, soft fade with a hybrid or a 3 iron on a long par three rather than hitting down.

I have found that most players that draw the ball have a very difficult time getting to right pins on par threes. Playing the ball more forward (sometimes way forward) allows them to catch the ball later in the swing, on the way up (and left) with a squarish clubface rather than swinging down on a hybrid, aiming way left with what feels like a wide open face and a swiping motion. The result, for some, is a higher softer (and sometimes longer) long iron or hybrid on a difficult par three.

Just food for thought...

Also aiming farther right too? I'm with you on everything you're saying but for me that set up seems very draw-biased. I'm probably missing something...

Also aiming farther right too? I'm with you on everything you're saying but for me that set up seems very draw-biased. I'm probably missing something...

Just out of curiousity, how would aiming left, swinging left with a clubface that points toward the target be draw biased? You COULD draw an iron or a hybrid while swing up, but you would have to aim well to the right...also a useful shot.

Pulled this shot off pretty much by luck last time out. 230 yd. par 3, back right pin. I would normally try to cut a 5w, but hit the 3 hybrid with the ball forward and tried to cut the pee out of it while swinging up. Ball finished 3 feet from the pin and actually made the putt.

Pulled this shot off pretty much by luck last time out. 230 yd. par 3, back right pin. I would normally try to cut a 5w, but hit the 3 hybrid with the ball forward and tried to cut the pee out of it while swinging up. Ball finished 3 feet from the pin and actually made the putt.

Caughbullsh!tcaugh. :D:p

Just out of curiousity, how would aiming left, swinging left with a clubface that points toward the target be draw biased? You COULD draw an iron or a hybrid while swing up, but you would have to aim well to the right...also a useful shot.

I guess my mind and body are having trouble holding the face open for that long. I understand the physics of why what you are saying would produce a cut. I am thinking more about what my body would want to do with the clubface when I'm trying to hit up on the ball.
I could easily be dead wrong about what I'm visualizing. I won't know for sure until I get out and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.