long & short irons vs. single length irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcw

New
in general, most of us hit their shorter irons better than the longer ones...as i practiced this winter, tried to sense the lag, and thought more about the golf swing i noticed that b/c of the heavier clubheads in the shorter irons that it is easier to feel where the clubhead is and wondered if this could be part of why it is easier to make contact with them...making better contact with shorter irons is the concept behind single length irons like the the 1irons (www.1irongolf.com)...does anybody here have any experience with these clubs and/or any comments on the concept in general?...thanks in advance!

-hcw

jeffy

Banned
quote:Originally posted by hcw

in general, most of us hit their shorter irons better than the longer ones...as i practiced this winter, tried to sense the lag, and thought more about the golf swing i noticed that b/c of the heavier clubheads in the shorter irons that it is easier to feel where the clubhead is and wondered if this could be part of why it is easier to make contact with them...making better contact with shorter irons is the concept behind single length irons like the the 1irons (www.1irongolf.com)...does anybody here have any experience with these clubs and/or any comments on the concept in general?...thanks in advance!

-hcw

I think Brian mentioned this concept, perhaps at the Orlando school. He said (if my memory is correct...) that the problem with the concept was that the ball went the same distance (more or less) with every club.

hcw

New
quote:Originally posted by jeffy

I think Brian mentioned this concept, perhaps at the Orlando school. He said (if my memory is correct...) that the problem with the concept was that the ball went the same distance (more or less) with every club.

well that certainly isn't what the 1iron folks say (not that that's surprising)...and i think it makes sense, cause i know from having sculled some short irons in my time that go way further than when hit higher that delofting a ballflight can increase distance...

-hcw

hue

New
I am pretty sure Sir Henry Cotton used this type of idea with most clubs in his bag being 5 iron length.

bts

New

in general, most of us hit their shorter irons better than the longer ones...as i practiced this winter, tried to sense the lag, and thought more about the golf swing i noticed that b/c of the heavier clubheads in the shorter irons that it is easier to feel where the clubhead is and wondered if this could be part of why it is easier to make contact with them.........................
-hcw
Also its relatively easier to control a shorter club. The other is it's higher loft puts more backspin (over side spin) for better direction control as well.

bbftx

New
...does anybody here have any experience with these clubs and/or any comments on the concept in general?...thanks in advance!

-hcw

hcw,
I have used single length irons for 2 years. I have sets of both Tommy Armour EQLs (produced ~1989-'94) and 1irongolf same length clubs. Rest assured that properly designed sets such as these two produce 8 to 10 yard distance increments between irons.

Each iron is the same length, weight and lie angle and can be swung using the same ball position, setup, and swing. Consistency across all of your irons improves because of this, not just the "long" irons. They take some getting used to. I hit the wedges and 9 iron very fat for a week or two since they are longer than what I was used to at first.
But when you get over that hump, and start swinging each one the same way, you get more consistency across 'em all..

Some folks have tried making up their own single length irons from components. Results will typically be very poor, since component heads generally are made with 7 to 10 gram increments in weight as you step from one clubhead to the next in the series. Single length clubs NEED to be the same weight, or the concept will fail. Lie angles also need to be the same and it's difficult to bend some component head lie angles enough to make them match across a set.

1irongolf clubs aren't cheap, but are very well made. I've bought and sold quite a few sets of Armour EQLs -- they show up on eBay fairly regularly and are a cheaper way to try out the concept if one doesn't want to spring for a set of 1irongolf clubs.

hcw

New
quote:Originally posted by bbftx

hcw,
I have used single length irons for 2 years. I have sets of both Tommy Armour EQLs (produced ~1989-'94) and 1irongolf same length clubs. Rest assured that properly designed sets such as these two produce 8 to 10 yard distance increments between irons.

Each iron is the same length, weight and lie angle and can be swung using the same ball position, setup, and swing. Consistency across all of your irons improves because of this, not just the "long" irons. They take some getting used to. I hit the wedges and 9 iron very fat for a week or two since they are longer than what I was used to at first.
But when you get over that hump, and start swinging each one the same way, you get more consistency across 'em all..

Some folks have tried making up their own single length irons from components. Results will typically be very poor, since component heads generally are made with 7 to 10 gram increments in weight as you step from one clubhead to the next in the series. Single length clubs NEED to be the same weight, or the concept will fail. Lie angles also need to be the same and it's difficult to bend some component head lie angles enough to make them match across a set.

1irongolf clubs aren't cheap, but are very well made. I've bought and sold quite a few sets of Armour EQLs -- they show up on eBay fairly regularly and are a cheaper way to try out the concept if one doesn't want to spring for a set of 1irongolf clubs.

bbftx,
thnx for the info...do the Armour EQLs have equal head weights ( i think i rmember reading they don't)?...this would seem a crucial piece...are the shaft angles the same on all clubs (?correct term?, i mean how far forward leaning the shaft is, typically more forward leaning on the shorter irons)?...if so i can see why one would hit the lower irons fat at first...thanks again!

-hcw

bbftx

New
The EQLs all weigh the same. Clubhead weight is about 262 grams. The 1irongolf iron heads are a little heavier at 273 grams. [The only exception is the EQL Sand Wedge clubhead. EQL SW is a little heavier than the other EQL heads by about 10 grams.]
All the clubs in a proper single length set are exactly the same, except for loft. The lie angle, forward shaft lean, etc. will all be identical. The reason a new user hits the wedges fat at first is that they are 1 to 2 inches longer than what you're used to for a PW or SW.

hcw

New
quote:Originally posted by bbftx

The EQLs all weigh the same. Clubhead weight is about 262 grams. The 1irongolf iron heads are a little heavier at 273 grams. [The only exception is the EQL Sand Wedge clubhead. EQL SW is a little heavier than the other EQL heads by about 10 grams.]
All the clubs in a proper single length set are exactly the same, except for loft. The lie angle, forward shaft lean, etc. will all be identical. The reason a new user hits the wedges fat at first is that they are 1 to 2 inches longer than what you're used to for a PW or SW.

thanks for the info!

-hcw

Rover Thomas

hcw,

I'm from Australia and single length clubs are not available here. I have just bought a set of Tommy Armour EQLs because I couldn't chance buying a new set without having tried them. My first try with them has not been encouraging - they jarred in my hands. They are regular flex steel shafts but they seem stiffer than my graphite Regular shafts.

I would be interested in your comparison of the Tommy Armours and the 1-irons. Also would like to know if you looked Purefit (which have weight adjustment), Simpletons or Pinhawk single length irons
Regards
Rover

ej20

New
The concept on paper appears sound but there are downsides.The PW will go too far and the 3 iron will be too short.The distance gap between irons will be far less than the normal 11 or 12 yards of carry,perhaps 7 or 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.