Looking for clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better the player the more hands and arms are in use.

Just my opinion. Generally speaking, lesser players over use the body and a lot of people who cant really play think the pivot adds to the club and try to power their swings with the pivot. The best players have soooooo much hand and arm action. For some insane reason hands get a bad rep in some circles.

In another thread Kevin argued that the hand are much more active in better players. I am not saying that he is right or wrong, but I wanted to know a little bit more about this topic. How active are the hands of better players, or do some better players use mainly their pivot to power the golf swing? What role to the hands/arms play? I know that Brian has stated that the arms are a great source of speed in the golf swing, but I feel like there is so much conversation about how the pivot powers the swing.
I know that there was a recent topic about how a small percentage of the work done by the pivot actually goes into powering the golf club. So that being said what creates speed? Is it a snapping of the kinetic chain i.e. using the pivot to generate speed which is then transfered to the hands, or does the golfer use more arms and hands?

There's a lot of range and motion in hands and forearms if you know how to use them so you might as well maximize there range of motion but the problem arises when one should use them, and once there spent that's it cant use them anymore, so the body is almost likle a second firing. The same can be said with the arms to some degree there's a range of power that can be used but once spent thats it.
Trying to power a golf club with just pivot is useless even Hogan mentioned it the same goes for just using arms ,hands and wrists so the the key is finding a so call blend of all these components

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Definately more hands and arms. Hit a ball with just your pivot and locked arms then hit one feet together and swing your arms, wrists and hands. You still need some power from your pivot, it plays a huge role but it isnt the main power source, i.e, pivot powered swing.

Pivot for sequence, balance and timing.

Also would like to add 1 more thing to kevins statement Pivot for sequence,balance and timing and acceleration

It is pretty obvious that the body is to slow to "power" the club. How the idea of a pivot powered swing ever arose is very difficult to understand. It probably came about from nonsensical ideas about the body rotation speed being directly related to clubhead speed a lá Leady-B.

Status
Not open for further replies.