Loss of distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

I changed my grip to more of a neutral one thanks to your grip article. I am hitting the ball straighter, but my distance is not what it was. Even well struck shots are coming up about 10-15 yards short with every club in the bag. I used to carry my 5 iron 185- now I struggle to just hit a 5 185 total. Any ideas on the loss of distance? My grip was strong before, but I had a draw/hook. Now my shot pattern is straight to a slight fade. This might be part of it. I love the accuracy, but I would love to have a bit more distance. Thanks.

Mike

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Try something in between frist, grip-wise.

Other than that, you need really two things for distance:

(not just you, EVERYone).....

Snap and Mash.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
snap meaning more lag...also your stronger grip might've been helping leading the hands a little more and delofting a bit which would add to your distance. Also with a more neutral grip you need to learn more clubface control. You might be a little more open now at impact than you were before which could be adding a little more loft and a little less distance.

I am sure I was delofting the clubface more. I couldn't fade the ball if my life depended on it. Now it is just the opposite, I can't really draw the ball at will. Any ideas about how to work on gaining more clubface control?

Mike

hue

New
Work on left handed swings . Do some chipping with the left arm only and get your mind into the flat left wrist at impact .

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
fmlutz....try slower strengthening that grip until you feel comfortable again. You don't have to learn a new grip to learn clubface control. If a neutral grip isn't doing it for you, just turn it a little more. I know that if i get a little too strong my swing goes to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.